Heaven forbid - If there was no MX-5!, what would you drive...?

Imagine a world with no MX-5’s in it!.. Scary thought for many…, if there was no such thing as a “5” what would you drive…?
I think I’d drain my bank account dry for a Jaguar F-Type V8 Convertible. :slight_smile:

f-type-header_jpg_677x1000_q100

3 Likes

Hopefully it could be as fun as an MX5.

5 Likes

Drove this for many years and stupidly sold it :frowning: , so would and will have to find another when finances allowed .
The MX5 is fun but …

6 Likes

Always has a place in my heart aswell. But a bit too much dollar to buy and run!
I’ll just have to really enjoy my track day at brands in one.

2 Likes

Love it Paul. Can’t beat that or one of the other cars it ran with back in the day.

1 Like

Like for like with the same money to spend I’d get a MGTF. Owned one brand new back in 2004 other than constantly worried about the head gasket blowing and having to put the footwell carpets back in everytime you got in and out it was a great fun car.

Was trying to find one 2 years ago before settling with the 5 but found it hard finding a decent one.

1 Like

I would probably go with a Morgan??

1 Like

I don’t need a daily so I’d have to decide between a mini or series 3 Land Rover.

1 Like

I’m fortunate to own both a Morgan and an MX5 NC1. The advantage of the Mazda is the ability to get in and go almost anywhere anytime. This is nowhere rear as practical on the Morgan.

So on a like for like basis I’d go for a BMW Z4, 3l straight six. Had one of those too and it proved surprisingly economical to own, practical to use and fun to drive.

Wow scarily those first four pictures are my top 4 as well.

Like for like similar (ish) money - S2000, loved the one I had but not as easy/comfortable to live with as MX5
F-Type - if I had the money and wanted a nice convertible.
Audi Quattro - my all time childhood hero car, still got the model used on one of birthday cakes as a young kid.
GTR - just love the tech and style of this car, will buy one at some point.

Great minds think alike…

2 Likes

I’d get another Boxster. The 987 S other PDK box was a great all rounder, almost too good as you couldn’t exploit all its performance

What an interesting topic!! Here’s my alternatives…

The obvious ones

The faster roadster ones

The 4 seater ones

The coupe ones

Does anyone agree or disagree with my imaginary forecourt? :grin:

4 Likes

After an MX5, I’d be too scared that I’d misjudge the size and scratch everything I drive near :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Yes! If the S2000 hadn’t kept strong values I’d possibly have tried one by now.

1 Like

Had a good few years with my MGTF then children came and one of my favourite 2 seater obviously after mx5 is an Elise!

1 Like

And yes the head gasket did go but just after I sold it to my dad. Oops!

1 Like

Realistically S2000 or 350Z for me. Would love the GTR but running costs would be prohibitive for me

1 Like

I would go searching for another one of these:

2 Likes

I ran a mk2 MR2 for 5 years, it was a great car but it needed driving with respect on wet roads - mid engine and rear wheel drive. I sold it to a friend and after 3 days he ended up in a ditch and the car was a right off. Luckily he was unhurt.

At present I run Toyota GT86 which is a fantastic motor, great handling but as per the mr2 it needs driving with respect on wet roads being rear wheel drive. Just put some Michelin Pilot Sport tyres on the car which feels much more predictable.

1 Like

All those new cars, I’m a bit more old school, MGB, TR250/TR6, maybe even another Sunbeam Tiger to replace my Miata fetish

2 Likes