Heaven forbid - If there was no MX-5!, what would you drive...?

One of these was a close second choice for me, but there’s so much choice and variety with MX5s

3 Likes

Agreed, I had that while at uni, shared with my flat mate and he did a pirouette on a wet roundabout, thankfully missing everyone around him!

Mate’s Ginetta G27 with 4.5 ltr V8.
Beautiful lines and mad power.
Google to see what they look like. Stunning.

3 Likes

A Fiat Multipla just for the banter. I’d also take an F-Type.

This person needs banning from this forum :expressionless:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:joy::joy:I’ve already grabbed my coat

1 Like

My previous baby, a little more costly to run , divorse put an end to her lol, still enjoyed many years with her…the car that is :wink:

2 Likes

124 Spider??

1 Like

Well, are we talking the original or more recent version?
After all, would the more recent one exist with no MX-5…

I was thinking of the more recent one, which probably wouldn’t exist without the MX5
I’m not sure the original ones were ever imported into this country, I don’t remember seeing any, although I saw plenty in the States in '76.
Father had two of the Sport Coupes, a white 1600 and a gold 1800. Great cars, quick for their time and actually a decent four seater - amazing packaging for a smallish coupe.
He also had a Beta Coupe and an HPE, equally great cars but equally prone to the tin worm, so you never see them, sadly.

1 Like

In early 2015 I was seriously considering a late model, low mileage, red Honda S2000 at around £18,000.00, but then the ND was announced so I put £1,000.00 deposit down for a Soul Red 1.5l SE-L Nav, and the rest is history. So otherwise I would be an S2000 driver, provided we’d both survived until now.

1 Like

…maybe a TR4?

1 Like

About the same budget i would say ; Toyota MR 2 mk2… more expensive ; Honda S2000, Lotus Elise (with Toyota engine) and Toyota GT 86.
There’s no competition realy as most affordable roadsters are front wheel drive :-1: :-1: :-1: or … a lot more expensive :roll_eyes:.

2 Likes

…whatever, it would have to be a soft top / convertible…Audi TT?

1 Like

Had this for 27 years but used very little. Would probably still have it if my son in law had not introduced me to his Euphonic and I sold the Vette for a Winning Blue NC

2 Likes

Before her current MX-5 NB, which she loves, my wife drove an MGF. She says that it was almost as much fun but a bit tail happy and maintenance was fiddly. Her dream car has always been a Morgan but price prevents. She would consider a nice MR2 as one of our sons had a Supra.

2 Likes

If she has a go in a Morgan, she may well change her mind.
The plus8 I tried suffered from terminal bump steer and wouldn’t go round any corner in a smooth arc.
Sounded wonderful though…

Many years ago she drove a 4-cylinder Morgan belonging to a friend. The dream dates back to when we first met and I drove a 1930s MG J2 and Morgans, like Minis, were very fashionable in Paris where she lived. She still regularly sees a couple of nice ones locally and smiles, but is very happy with her MX-5. She just likes owning and driving non-nonsense, traditional-looking small sports cars.

1 Like

I so much wanted to drive the S2000, and when the chance came, it involved a cross country 105 mile drive, so I thought “Yes!”. It was the biggest disappointment of my life.

All I was aware of was “bzzzzz…!” for the entire drive. It buzzed on a relaxed throttle, buzzed on acceleration, buzzed when I tried to chill out. So much so that when I got to the destination I had a splitting headache. I was gutted as I expected so much better.

The Audi TTRS automatic was mightily impressive. I had a part-time job for a few years delivering cars, so I got the chance to enjoy some very nice machinery, and the RS was just one such vehicle. 0-60 was quoted at 5.9s, but it felt faster, and there was no lag in the auto changes. If I could have afforded one… :heart_eyes: