Hello from sunny Devon

Hi all, I used to be a member of this forum (or a previous version of it) back when I lived in Birmingham and owned a lovely unmolested 1991 silver-stone Mk1 1.6 that was my daily drive. It was the best car I’ve ever owned and always put a smile on my face. I’d find any reason for taking it out for a drive and getting the top down including meeting up with other owners club members at shows, tracks and the local pub! Unfortunately that came to a nasty end in December 2004 when I spun the car on a patch of ice during my morning commute and slammed into a lamppost. As far as I know it was put back on the road by someone after I wrote it off, but I suspect bits of J451 KFP are now living on as donor parts on other peoples cars, either that or it’s been recycled into tins of beans!

After that I got a 200SX S14 and got into drifting in quite a big way which was great fun, that subsequently came to an end when I became a father and the inevitable people carrier entered our lives. Needless to say I’ve registered on the forum again today as I’m in the market for another mk1 MX-5 as a fun weekend car, future investment and something for me and my son to work on together as he gets a bit older.

My preference would be an early and original a car as possible, with a 1.6, manual box and a reasonably long MOT and history. I’d consider a car with a 1.8 or an auto though and am prepared to do some work to a car to bring it up to its former glory, albeit mechanical work as I’ve got neither the space or skills to do bodywork but thankfully do have a mate that does. I’m not expecting to pay top-whack for an immaculate low-mile example, I’m looking more at the lower end of the market so don’t mind a car which is a bit rough around the edges and needs some TLC as long as it’s driveable and not just a project car/shell. I’m not fussed if it’s a UK or JDM car, but do want one with electric windows and power steering.

Question – As I’m in Devon and most cars seem to be miles away from me, does the owners club offer a service whereby if I found a car I really liked the look of that was far from me I could pay for someone to go and appraise it? Obviously once COVID restrictions are lifted.

1 Like

Sorry JonXLR8, this is not a service that the club offers. I’m sure that you’re aware, but the AA/RAC do offer that service.