Help! Gear lever won’t go in turret...is it me?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1991 1.6 uk
  2. I’m based near: east mids
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: gear lever shifter and gaiter overhaul

Hi all
I’m removing a quick shift mechanism, going back to standard.
All going well, including turret oil change with 75w80.
My lever won’t go in with the click that all the you tube guides seem to achieve?
Tried a lot of wiggling!
Front groove lined up.
Here’s some action shots:

Here’s the parts that I removed. Maybe I need another part? I bought the MX5parts genuine Mazda upper and lower boot with a new nylon bush.

From experience that nylon bush on the end can be awkward to slot back in to it’s recess, needs to press in squarely.

That looks like a short shift kit you have taken out. The extra bits come with a new stick. Either put it all back or get a standard stick

1 Like

Ah that could explain the very clean condition of the stick then!

Thanks, that will be it, I can see the kits that are available now. Going back to standard.

What are the chances of removing my new lower boot and keeping it intact?!

Hi, I found that the only way to get the lower boot off was to cut it off. Even then it was a tight fit. I know it slides over with a bit of oil when putting it on, but I would have a go at removing it before you place the order for the other bits, as you will probably need a new one…

This is what my standard one looked like. You can see how bad the boots were on mine…

1 2 3 4 5

Mine was in the same condition (93 Eunos 1.6). I kept the stick vertical and it did go in with a little push (thank goodness!).

I also replaced the upper nylon bush (as in one of your pics) that carries the wave washer. My wave washer was in two pieces so I needed a new one. Had to get it from Mazda; and I thought while I’m at it also get the new upper bush from Mazda.

Thanks again for that steer RichardN!

All sorted, having sourced a standard stick.

1 Like