Help I've got smoke

hi

wonder if any one can help after driving when i pull up I get an smell of burning rubber and smoke inside car from center console near handbrake, have checked brakes doesnt seem to be from them

please help as not much experience with cars

thanks

check under your car around the exhaust it runs quite close to the body could be burning somthing in the transmision tunnel or you may have picked something up off of the road (plastic bag) If the ehaust/catalist is to close to the body it may be melting/burning the centre consol

How confident are you that it’s a burning rubber small, rather than a hot oil smell? 
Reason I ask is that it might be a leaky cam cover gasket allowing oil to drip onto the exhaust manifold, and the smell entering the cabin through a torn rubber boot at the base of the gearlever.  You can check the gasket for leaks by wiping around the cam cover (and the bottom of the bolts around its edge) with a tissue and see if you can pick up any fresh drips.
Whatever the source of the smell turns out to b, you should take a look under the centre console - if that rubber boot is torn, that’s probably where the smell’s coming in.  If it isn’t torn, check all the wiring there carefully to see if anything looks melted (although that’s less likely).

Amazingly I was logging onto the forum today to ask advice about exactly the same problem!I had suspected that the source of the problem was the rubber boot on the gearlever as I noticed mine was torn when I removed the centre console for another reason earler this year…Will now buy a replacement and sort out over Christmas!!

Cheers!  

Some good info here-------

http://mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/201.aspx

thanks Geoff

very helpfull will do it as soon as i can get parts

cheers