Help needed with valuing my car MX5 MkII (1998)

Hi All

I was wondering if the people in the know here could potentially help me value my MX5 MkII (1998)

After owning it for about 8 years now, it is time for someone else to enjoy it as i don’t use it anywhere enough.

The problem is, I haven’t got a clue what it is worth as I believe there are not many around in this condition and mileage.

I will add some photos later on, but just to summarise I have put a list of the main points below, I have tried to be as honest as I can.

the car has had only 1 previous owners, I purchased it from a retired doctor who had treated himself to a brand new MX5.

its completely un-modified with the exception that i have added a chrome roll bar behind the seats (I still have the original wind deflector), its has just 37k on the clock and is a UK Registered car.

I average about 300 miles a year in it, some years i don’t use it at all. It is still MOT’d every year and never has failed and has no advisories. It was stored in a garage by the previous owner and I have followed his lead, I have either kept in the garage at home or at my factory unit.

Just after I purchased it I had a new Mohair roof fitted and have also had a new clutch fitted, it even has 5 alloys that are standard, never been repainted as many have

any comments / assistance would be gratefully received

I have used WhatCar Valuations over the years and they tend to be quite accurate and at times actually surprise you.
As you have a pretty much a standard car should be okay…
You can always tweak the price a bit for condition etc etc.
You just get in with the 1998 year.
It’s free, give it a go. :+1:
https://www.whatcar.com/car-valuation/

Autotrader gives a good guide. It all depends on rust, or in your case probably the lack of it. I would have thought a dealer might sell at around £5k, privately perhaps £4K, just depends how desirable it is regarding engine size,colour, special edition, hardtop?

thanks for reply, I did look on autotrader but there wasn’t many low mileage cars on there. I will be listing it for sale on here soon once i have taken some photos.

There was a 10,000 mile one at £7k privately. I think that is rather high, though as always it is just a matter of being lucky and finding someone who is happy to pay that for a really excellent condition car - someone may well be prepared to pay that kind of money but you could be waiting several months. Good luck.

thanks, i didn’t see that one, but i did see one with 19k on there for similar money

I don’t intend asking that kind of money, if I am honest I want it to go to someone who will love owning it as much as me. thanks again for your replies

thank you i will give it a go, much appreciated

My 2003 MK2.5 1.8i Sport has just sold for just under £4.5k. It had 48k on the clock and was in great condition. Hope that helps.

Last year we sold our Mk2.5 Phoenix (1.8) with 45k miles (and hard top) for £2.5k, (to a mate). (Had placed an add previously but got no offers).
We had it from new (ie one owner), the sills had been done about 10 years ago but had started to show some signs, and the wheels really needed stripping and re coating, apart from that very good condition…and still drove like new!

I think it will depend on the spec and colour as much as anything, plus finding a buyer that wants the particular model / colour you have for sale.

As a guide, my brother bought (almost 2 years ago now) a very nice conditioned mk 2.5 2005 1.6 Icon in chilli orange that had zero apparent rust, one owner, and less than 30,000 miles on the clock. Like your car it had lived a very pampered life in a garage, rarely seeing use, and came with a good service history. He paid just over £3,000 in a private sale, which we both thought was probably a bit more than the market would value it at but worth it due to condition. The car had been advertised on eBay at that price but hadn’t sold. I paid a bit more for a similar condition (zero apparent rust) 50,000 mile 1.8 imported JDM mk 2.5 RS model as I specifcally wanted a NBFL RS. So somewhere between £3 and £4K as a guess. Sadly the mk2 isn’t as well loved as the mk1, which is reflected in the prices they make when up for sale.

thank you for your reply, much appreciated

The one plus point is being an early Mk2 they seem somewhat better as regards rust over the later NB’s
My own 99 model is still quite solid with original roof and yet i have seen low mileage, 30k mileage even, later cars up to 05 plate that have looked pretty good on the surface but have had no chassis rails left and or have rotted out inner sill belt mounting points. This of course can be greatly linked to use and storage. As stated Mk2’s are still in the doldrums money wise and only dealers and the hopeful ask anything over a couple of grand…my opinion of course. Show some photo’s and give solid detail for a more balanced advice.

That was me! Just sold it an hour ago. Not at all high for a quality car - that’s what the purchaser thought anyway.

thank you again, love the responses, i will get it out of the workshop i store it in, give it a wash and post some photos, hopefully i can even get some underneath photos as there is a garage next door with a lift