Help please on suspension advisories

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC 2.0 Sport Tech (2010), 31k miles
  2. I’m based near: __Glasgow
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Suspension advisories. At recent MOT, had advisories for "Suspension pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement, (on both sides) lower. Garage recommended renewal of both lower suspension wishbone arms on front axle at a cost of £661.

Separately the garage recommended renewal of both rear stabiliser links on the ARB, due to slight play in the ball joints. Cost £114.

Can anyone advise if these are the only solutions or should I look for someone else to replace bushes, etc? I don’t have garage facilities to do this work myself.

Obviously can’t comment on whether you need the parts or not. But if you do, suspension arms are £185ish each, so probably not worth the hassle of just changing the bushes, and the drop links on the ARB are £40 each for genuine parts, or about £10 each for pattern ones, from MX5PARTS.

Fitting does need jacks, tools, angle grinder. Not too difficult, but not a five minute job either.

I’d guess two to three hours labour, but if any of the bolts are seized could be longer.

Thanks, that’s helpful.

This seems ridiculously low mileage for these advisories, was all of the 31K
done on farm tracks at high speed? Take it to another garage next year.

Yes, I had that thought but wondered if it was just an ageing effect, the car now being 10 years old.

That seems excessive to me. I would be very surprised if you need front wishbones at that mileage. I would seek a second opinion. Rear arb links are £14-£20 a side for Mahle, Moog etc quality aftermarket parts.
A 10mm x 1.25 pitch thread die can be run down the exposed threads on the drop links which removes the need for grinders etc to remove.

I agree - I’m about to embark on changing the front O/S lower arm because the bolt has seized solid and I can’t get it out, it’s going to be cut off, but a new arm is more cost effective than the bushes.

I echo everyone else’s opinion on this… 31k seems way too low for you to be having these problems, get a second opinion regardless.

£114 for the rear anti roll bar links is obscene. I’ve never known them to take more than 20 minutes a side. They will either loosen off and come off the proper way and if they don’t, cut them off - it’s a REALLY easy job. New ones are -/+ £10 each.

Really appreciate all these comments thanks.

Thought to update those who gave me advice last year on suspension advisories. Car was sorned thro the winter and I went for the second opinion suggested, when taking it for its recent MOT. Went to Struans Mazda in Perth for its service and MOT and they found nothing wrong with the suspension. Apart from this they offered great service, predictable pricing and no surprises. I’d recommend them if you live in this part of Scotland. The advisories for the previous MOT were made by Hal*&%@s in Paisley.

Definitely agree with the comments about Struans, I travel 74 miles bypassing two Mazda dealers to have my car serviced there!

I’ve had a similar experience with advisories, in 2019 at 41k miles the MOT tester listed

• Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

I have had 2 further MOT’s without any brake changes the latest at 46k miles and no mention of advisories on either, maybe the discs have worn clean in the few miles driven! The car has had full services each year also without any mention of brake issues by the garage.

Does really make you think about MOT testers and what they are after. Maybe there is something to gain by paying full price for going to a council run MOT test station where they have nothing to gain by unnecessary advisories etc.

1 Like