Help to cut a skirting board

I needed to do something similar but used a straight cutting blade as a plunge cutter.

1 Like

Multi tool everytime

1 Like

Agreed. It’s one of those things that you wonder how you ever got on without.

2 Likes

Just a word of warning though. They’re highly addictive little tools. You’ll be looking for something else to use it on

1 Like

Panel saw or floorboard saw as used by sparkys.
Have fun if you attempt it with a jigsaw. the blade will have to go through the wall and anything inside the wall and not be able to cut all the way to the floor.

1 Like

Found a small multi tool to hire:

https://www.hirebase.uk/tool-hire/cutting-sawing/multi-tool
These people have a branch in Redditch Worcs

If I lived nearer I would come and do it for you.!

1 Like

Multitools are as cheap as chips and as has been said, by far and away, the most suitable tool for doing what the OP wants to do. Screwfix have them for 40 nicker.
Go buy one and be done with it !!!

2 Likes

Large drill or wood boring bit, just under the width of the slot you require (by say 2/3mm) chain drill it (that’s a series of holes close together but not breaking into each other) then sharp chisel out to marked lines, mark it all out carefully first take it slow and easy.

1 Like

Based on the strong vote in favour of a multi-tool I have just placed an order for one from Wickes. Seems a good price, has good reviews and comes with a few different tools. I pick it up tomorrow.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Corded-Multi-Tool-with-Accessories---300W/p/223734#

Thanks to everyone for their input. Any of the suggestions would probably get the job done but whilst the multi-tool may not be the cheapest solution it seems it may be the quickest and the most fun. :grinning:

3 Likes

Plenty of useful video tips on YouTube on how to use them. Have fun

1 Like

Well, did it do the job?

Not yet. I got sidetracked onto outdoor jobs whilst the weather was nice. I have used it on a couple of other jobs and it seems quite a nifty little tool. We’re also slightly re-thinking the job as the flexibility of this tool will allow us to do something else we thought about once in the past.