Hi everybody, can you help please?

I don't know if anybody can help. I have just joined the club having just purchased an MX5 Icon ltd edition. She is beautiful and I am very pleased with her but she mis-fires a little. I suspect that it could be HT leads that are at fault but would be interested to hear if anybody can give any advice on this and if there is a local supplier near Bristol /  WSM for MX5 goodies. I considered getting a new set of leads but didn't know if it was worth spending the extra for 8mm performance ones. Also, are the long reach spark plugs worth getting? 
Thanks for your help!

G’day mate Welcome to the forum–

Just signed in for the first of many visits? Please pop your location in your profile, and the year and model of your MX5 in your sig. This helps enormously when we try to answer questions…

Forum Technical Index

Mis fire, slight hesitation are often symptoms of worn out plug leads. Some favour the 8mm performance leads, but on my supercharged Mk1 I use standard Mazda leads. The long reach plugs are often debated, again I use the recommended plugs albeit in a slightly different temperature range.

This will have to be quick as I’m just going to set off for work…

Try Moss europe just off the end of the M32 in Bristol.

With regards to the leads, I fitted Magnicor 8mm HT leads to mine. Apart from the slight miss fireing going I didn’t see any change.

As with the longer plugs, I fitted them as I was changing them anyway but didn’t see any improvment.

Hope that helps, I better get a move on now, Before boss man get’s all stroppy with me. :slight_smile:

Scotty B.

I agree with Geoff on the HT leads with your mis fire, but i favour a good brand of the 8mm performance leads, but saying that the OE leads take a very long time to break downThumbs up

M-m

I am not going to disagree with anything said above but before going down the replacing parts route you haven’t said how long you have had the vehicle or whether you have tried any different fuels etc
I used to work in the oil industry and I KNOW that not all fuels are the same. If you have just run the car on one brand (e.g. Supermarket fuels) since purchasing the car it might be worth trying an alternative fuel from one of the major brands if you a haven’t already done so.
My son has a Z4 which is particularly prone to misfiring on certain fuels. I don’t really know of any MX5s which suffer from this but that’s not to say such a problem cannot exist.
Just a thought and maybe one more thing to eliminate, if you didn’t already do so, before replacing leads or anything else. As I said, I don’t disagree with anything said above, they are probably right but at least be sure the fuel isn’t the source first.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your opinion. I have replaced the plugs with a new set of NGK standard plugs and I pushed the boat out and bought a set of Magnecor KV85 8.5mm Competition Ignition Leads. Thankfully, the misfire is now curedBig Smile

regards,

Dave

Thumbs up

A misfire is nearly always the leads, but even if it’s not, it’s rarely a big problem. feel free to call and stop by!