Holes under space saver

Model: NB

Found these two caps loose under the boot cubbyhole. Removing the space saver I see two similar sized holes. Do I need to put the caps back in the holes, or have they been removed for a reason (to let water out)? I keep the car garaged and have no intention of driving in the rain.

Yes put them back they belong there.
Do check for leaks though, maybe the previous owner removed them for that reason. Favourite places for leaks (looks like an NB, racing bronze) rear light seals, hard top deck plates or the aerial.

My Eunos filled with water when the roof drain holes were blocked - suspect same happened here and previous owner didn’t know or couldn’t find a leak?

Trombone brush or spiral drain unblocker (trombone brush gentler!) and get them clear. You “may” need something stronger if they are hard blocked (mine were full of sand) so I used the car antenna to ram a path through then brush then a small diameter hose connected to a watering can. They get a brush through twice a year regardless of use.

Thanks Mick and Jeff. The caps look warped (probably after prising out) so I don’t think they are going to sit nicely. Will see if I can find replacements. I’ve cleaned the drain holes so know they are good.

What do you think those caps are called? Mx5 boot caps” doesn’t seem to yield anything related.

Put them into a cup of water hot from the kettle (not sat in a pot on the stove) and they should remember their shape after a minute or so. They will also be soft enough to re-insert.

In my leaky old Ford’s boot I cut a small nick in each of the grommets to dribble out the boot/wheel water but not let splashes in.

1 Like

I can see why they pay you the big bucks now. Both grommets (that’s the word!) now re-fitted

3 Likes

Boots can fill with water for a variety of reasons, including damaged or badly fitted rain rails, dried out rear light seals or damagd boot seals.

I realise you’ve already refitted them, but as an addition to the thread I was once told to put a film of silicone sealant round the lip of metal before putting those types of grommets back in, just so that they didn’t moisture trap and rust out the metal round the rubber.

I figure this would also help you if they are now slightly deformed.