Holiday Cancellations

We took the decision to cancel our tour of Scotland last Friday, this involved weeks of careful planning some 6 months ago and then booking up the accommodation.
All booked up last December all set then you know what hit. Now we consider we had to make the decision now, our tour didn’t start until September but plenty of time for the holiday industry to get up and running again. I don’t think it will be back to normal so soon, infact maybe not al all in full swing again until next year.
We’d had as early as the begining of March one accommodation actually cancel our booking and refunded us, they closed up for the rest of the season which I thought was a bit much at the time but now a wise choice given they are elderly, as we are and myself suffer with asthma.

Now I’ll get more to the point, has anyone else gone through this (I’m guessing many) and also with our case with a couple of bookings we are in limbo. We booked 2 via Booking.com and it all seems a bit weird with them confirmation of the cancellation with a promise of no fee for cancelling. It was a non refundable booking on both and the hotel on one have said a refund will be issued, the other again a bit vague on this and have not really said anymore. I have booked direct with a couple of other properties that I had given deposits and they have refunded. Airbnb are promising a refund on 2 properties I have booked through them, refunds due by 6th June.

Think I’ll be reluctant to book via Booking.com again, so vague during this uncertain time but I realise they could be so busy right now also.

Anyway we will try again for next year, already planning that, same destination but maybe not the same accommodation, who knows.

Hi Mick, we had a holiday planned with another couple for this year. Fly to New York ( Aer Lingus), internal Delta flight to Miami. Royal Caribbean 10 days around the Caribbean, return flight to New York and a few days there in hotel before flying home to Manchester via Dublin.
So, this was back in the end of March, Royal Caribbean have just this week refunded the cruise money, AerLingus say they won’t (or can‘t) so have offered a credit. Delta at first said tough as their flight was still operating. Once We explained that it wasn’t possible to get to America to catch that flight, they also offered a credit. The return internal flight, fortunately we hadn’t actually booked so nil cost. We had booked another cruise (this time to Alaska) in September this year, again with RC, with a week of motoring through the Rockies, so thought we would use the flight credits there, only to find out now that this cruise is also cancelled, which is fair enough. Fortunately we hadn’t paid in full, only a few hundred ££’s. The flight credits can be used over 12 months but I would prefer our money back TBH but I’m not sure these companies can afford to pay everyone back at this time? I’m not loving the thought of flying anywhere at the moment, or cruising for that matter. We did have the NC500 provisionally booked for this year but just couldn’t fit it all in and cancelled those plans before Covid-19 got a grip. Mrs B uses booking.com for majority of our holiday accommodation but pays extra (I think) for cancellations almost up to the day of the reservation. This time we booked cruise stuff through a third party (rather than directly) and we were worried we might struggle to get our money back as RC refunded the third party, not us. Our friends haven’t yet got their refunds though, even though booked and paid for at the same time as us :thinking:
The whole thing is a problem at the moment!
Barrie

Hi Barrie, I know some and like yourself might lose a fair bit of money, more so if they are holidaying abroad.
So far I’ve got over £700 being held by various places with a promise of £207 to be refunded by June 6th. A Travelodge booking has issued a credit voucher for £103 that’s ok it lasts until December 2021, another I’ve had the booking of £85 shifted to September 2021, if we go then.
So I’m worried for about £300 we may not see again or have to struggle to get back…

In hindsight we should have definitely took the refundable option if we changed our plans, we didn’t on some bookings. And we seemed to have had better dealings with those that offer to take your booking no deposit required, pay on arrival. Obviously no money involved with those, direct bookings and no cancellation fees, thus more understanding when you have to cancel.

1 Like

Hi Mick, yes it’s funny that, some proprietors are really good about stuff, others not so much. We were going to use a small dog hotel over in Accrington for Barney. Mrs B went over with him to scope it out. Home boarding for up to 12 dogs IIRC, set in 10 acres of land, very nice indeed, with dogs having (more or less) free reign over the place! They wouldn’t take a deposit at the time, then this happened. Mrs B spoke with them to cancel and she offered to pay half the fees, even though we weren’t going on holiday. The lady was having none of it, refused the offer but thanked us, saying you may use us again in the future? How nice indeed, and obviously, we will use them when things get back to normality, if they ever do. :+1:

I’ve just re read my earlier post too, I apologise if it sounds like I’m blowing about our holidays? It couldn’t be further from the truth, I retired 9 years ago, Mrs B still working and really just to pay for her (and mine) travelling adventures! It’s not that we have tons of disposable income but she is very good at planning ahead and getting some good deals :joy:

Barrie

Tough for anyone at the moment with regards to “normal” life. For those of us lucky enough to have had holidays booked there are mixed reports from various companies.

My wife was to visit New Zealand two days before lock down (already told not welcome down there) so cancelled her flight. We have had to fight for our £900 or so back, and have to keep chasing … it’s in a queue, they say for refund, after they first refused money back but wanted to give us a voucher valid for a year…who knows if she is going to be able to go back inside a year? or the air line still there?

On the other hand, I had a sailing course in Corfu booked for middle of May, the company couldn’t have been more helpful. they offered me full refund, or go for one in September in case everything is OK again. Or book for next year same dates. I have elected to try for September at the moment

The same company also have told me not to pay balance of holiday yet for a sailing holiday around Greek Islands in early July, and will call me nearer time to sort out options. great customer service (Sailing Holidays . com) just looking at their website is like being on holiday, I couldn’t be happier with my dealings with them.

Some of these companies look to have a short term look on life, we customers have a long memory, and some of them might find themselves in big trouble once this travel situation is back to normal

2 Likes

Good post and a lot of truth in the customer side of things!

Barrie

1 Like

No need to apologise Barrie about anything :grin:

I felt really bad about cancelling one particular accommodation. We had stopped there before in 2017, such a lovely couple, the view over the loch from our room was absolutely wonderful. We looked to book again but found another a few yards down the road for £20 cheaper, that again looked good for a perfect view but they wanted a deposit. We booked and then they had cancel our booking, they decided to close for the season when all this took off this year.
We turned to the one we had previously stayed at, no deposit, pay on departure no fuss whatsoever, now we’ve cancelled that and they were so good about it.

1 Like

Yep so true.
I’ve got to accept a rearranged date on one, so next year we will have at least one place booked in the middle of the Cairngorms, that’s for one night.
The way they have reacted to me having to cancel this year isn’t really encouraging me to actually want to stop there next year but I should be thankful I have got the rebooking.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I really feel for you all over the doubts and concerns relating to holiday bookings, and refunds… or not!

We booked to go to New Orleans, USA two years ago, followed by a three week drive, visiting various historic places as we travelled up the Mississippi. We had paid a deposit of £1,200 for ourselves and another couple when making the booking, and the balance (considerable) became due a week before the lock-down. Our agent, Audley Travel, have been outstanding.

We had previously been to Borneo with them on another trip some years ago, and perhaps inevitably with travel to those parts, involving jungle trips by boat, the odd issue perhaps inevitably (?) arose, although these were sorted by Audley staff, even before we experienced any worrying disruptions. This is why we entrusted the New Orleans trip organisation to them.

So back to the week before lock-down, they said, unlike some other travel companies I have read about, wait another 7 to 10 days after the due date, and do not pay the balance. When that time expired, and even before the extent of flight disruption became evident, Audley discussed our plans, agreeing to postpone the holiday another year, and carry the deposits over to the new proposed 2021 plan… with of course not having to pay another penny until then.

To my mind that is how a good company should operate and I would recommend them to any club owner. To hear of people being told they must pay in full, and then struggling to get a refund, is disheartening.

I hope your future plans eventually meet your needs.

BTW Bettabuilda, we did an Alaskan cruise with Celebrity from Vancouver, with a two-week follow-up drive through the Rockies, and then back to Vancouver. If you need any help or advice feel free to message me.

3 Likes

That’s really kind of you, thanks :+1:I believe our trip was, fly to New York, fly onwards to Chicago, SUV hire to St Paul’s Minneapolis through Glacier National Park to Seattle. Then cruise to Vancouver via several stops then fly home from Vancouver :+1: At the moment its rescheduled for September 2021 :nerd_face:
Barrie

Well I have to say Airbnb have paid up, they put the money into my account before 6th June, so well done to them. I’ll be using them again, not so Booking.com, absolutely no word or promise of money back yet. I’ve been doing some searching and it seems many, many are waiting for replies on their refunds.

Interesting point, we have a booking through booking.com and the financial transaction was directly with the property.

I know Airbnb hold your money until your trip actually takes place.

1 Like

I booked a pub for one night in the Highlands, they said I can have a refund although it was a non refundable booking, all good I think. Still waiting on that, apparently it’s got to go through Booking.com as I used them to book and also so the property receive their fee back that they pay Booking.com. The pub has also stated to me once all the refunds have gone through they will not be using said company again, please ring direct for booking next time.
I am constantly being told by properties after staying over the last couple of years throughout the UK, next time ring us direct, I believe the fees to the property keep rising to use such booking agents.
I’m still unsure how my refund works, from the property after they receive their bit back or direct from Booking.com??

I’ve still got over £300 in limbo, many many more will have larger sums to be refunded, a waiting game.

We booked a family holiday in Spain for a week in July with on the beach dot com.
We took the decision recently that even if foreign travel will open up by then, it would not be much of a holiday, with social distancing, mask wearing, self isolate for two weeks on return, etc, so decided to cancel ourselves.
We accepted we will lose our deposit of £400, but a bit surprised to find out you need to pay another £250 to cancel - £650 to not go on holiday!

What! Now that is taking the Mickey. I feel for you as none of this is down to you? You’re right about the holiday not being one with restrictions still in place etc.

Barrie

You need to remind AerLingus (IAG group like BA) about their obligations under eu 261/2004. If they are still refusing to reimburse you then if you paid by credit card your card provider is jointly liable for the breach of contract. Just make sure the airline know you are prepared to take this action as it costs them as they will be charged by the CC company.
Don’t take no for an answer!

1 Like

Thanks, probably paid by debit card to be honest, saw something on TV breakfast news that 7 days was the period for refund of cancellations? It’s been a lot longer than that and they only offered a credit for future flight? We are going next year and would have used them for USA flights but the more I think about it, a full refund sounds a lot better :+1:
Barrie

Unfortunately, I lost money on modest investments in Flybe and Thomas Cook so wouldn’t be keen on taking vouchers from any airline.

There was an article on MoneyMail that went through the process of getting your card issuer to use the chargeback process to refund you directly. It seems that’s the only way to get the attention of some airlines which, from memory, included Virgin.

My missus is still trying to get me to book long haul flights and a cruise for early part of next year but I’ve so far managed to turn a deaf ‘un.

1 Like

Just to update this thread a little, I fired off a friendly email to the hotel in Aberdeen which we had booked via Booking.com, that was yesterday. I’ve tried Booking.com but all I could muster from them was a standard reply, please bear with us and we’ll get back or words to that effect.
So in most of the replies from the hotel they’ve been pretty quick to respond, yesterday they told me their accountant will be contacted re my refund.
Low and behold £216 has appeared in my account today from the hotel.:+1:

I’ve just £85 outstanding now, chasing that ATM but happy with the outcome and waiting time this far, could have been worse.:+1:

1 Like

That’s great news Mick, well done :+1: