Horn not working - steering wheel button removal

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC1 PRHT
  2. I’m based near: KINROSS
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Park Park.

My horn has started to work intermittently.
Press the centre of the wheel and sometimes escape just the sound of silence, other times Noddy makes it go parp parp.

So I am assuming a loose connection somewhere, but not started looking yet;.

Can someone advise how the connections at the wheel are made? Up the centre column and then spades onto the button? Does the centre just prise out?
Thanks.

Check the earth to the horn itself, we had a similar issue and it was the earth that was the issue.

1 Like

As I understand it, the horns earth through their mountings, so rotating the horns and rotating the mountings themselves as well, may restore your earth connection.

1 Like

I’d suggest it’s easier to start at the horn end first.
Taking the steering wheel off involves the airbag, so that would be my last place to start investigating.

1 Like

As others have said, start with the horn and work backwards.

Having said that the horn button is reasonably easy to remove but then you have to separate it from the airbag module. To remove the horn, unplug the battery and wait 10 minutes. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees and remove the rubber plug from the back of the wheel. Undo the 10/12mm bolt that was hidden by the plug. turn the wheel the other way and do the same on the other side. The airbag and horn are now loose and can be withdrawn once you’ve unplugged them. The separation part i will leave to you :smiley:

1 Like