Horrible smoking smell

Now you’d pay £750 not to smell like a smoking shelter?

Having moved into house that people smoked in, the only way to lose the small is remove the seats and a really good wash and dry. Remove the carpets and hang up and power wash them after soaking with detergent, they will look great after

I feel your pain.

When I bought this house in 1971, after looking solidly all over West London for a year and a half while the prices were climbing, I was so grateful to find something, actually anything solid and big enough WITH A GARAGE, that I was prepared to put up with any smell.

The old boy who lived and smoked here since it was built was in his mid 80s, slowly losing vision, hearing, sense of smell and general awareness, and his son finally persuaded him to sell up when his (very leaky) little Jack Russell passed on.

Two friends and I took a week off work, and we stripped out all furnishings, wall paper, ceiling paper, lino, carpets and bedding and then washed down the whole house with detergent and Jeyes fluid, wearing out two new scrubbing brushes and wrecking a broom (washing ceilings). Those were twelve-hour days finished off in the pub back in Marylebone. I was also able to cut the grass and begin a compost heap before the son took away the superb big 18" self-propelled run-after Shay Four-in-hand lawnmower.

After the house dried out and most of the smell had gone I collected SWMBO and mother-in-law from Wales to show what a vast improvement it was.
First thing MIL said, “This place is dreadful! It’s filthy! It’s not suitable for my daughter!”
SWMBO behind her was grinning, desperately trying not to laugh, because she knew exactly what we had bought having seen it two months earlier and had predicted this reaction.
My reply “You should have seen it a week ago, when it was nicotine brown, before we did five trips to the tip. But then you were not here to help me clean it.”
To give her credit, she then repeated all I had done, not much difference in the end, but she was satisfied, and then the three of us painted it all white to keep the plaster dust at bay.

And then I ripped it all apart because it desperately needed rewiring; the holes in the floors and the vast amount of dust drove MIL back to Wales.

It took about three months, lots of wall-paper, lots more paint, and assorted floor coverings before the last hints of tobacco smoke had gone. Changing from a gas cooker to electric helped a lot too.

After all that, de-fugging a car is trivial.

1 Like

Nah, it smells a bit but I think with comments in here to help I can remove it. Some good ideas and in time it will go anyway.

Well after reading all that, i need a ciggie now!!