How best to repair Mk2 front arch bubbling?

This is a poor quality pic of front arch bubbling on a Mk2, emerald green paint.

Difficult to assess without seeing in the metal, but am I right in thinking a replacement wing (painted) would work out to be cost-effective in the long run, compared to a localised repair? Depending on who is doing it, naturally…

Thanks
Paul

Ok, it does not look like a scrapper ( the wing!) from that photo but I’d have thought a lasting repair would need the wing off anyhow.
However, I’d have a good poke around the bottom of the wing in front of the door shut area where it curls inwards.
Common enough for crud & krappachino to rot them form the inside outwards.
That would herald a new wing.

2 Likes

If that’s it, nothing else on that wing as stated above I’d be having a pick at that scab :roll_eyes:
I mean get the crusty stuff off and see if it’s holed. Do a DIY job if only surface, rattle can blend it in. If you need a pro it wouldn’t cost much surely to fix.

1 Like

Cheers - pick it and see then… :+1:

~£100 a panel to repaint professionally. Will be 100% better than £50 worth of rattle cans, filler, wet and dry, primer, cutting compounds and whatever else you can empty Halfords of.

1 Like

That must be mates rates then.

Pro job on my Mk1 bumper £150 and I took it off to him, no masking. £220 to do the bonnet, I passed on that and touched in the scratches. That was 11 years ago, would it be cheaper now, guess not.:grin:

2 Likes

That’s not flat paint.
It’s a mica of some shade I cannot make out.
Fading that properly from rattlers pretty nigh impossible.
Pro-paint would be more than £100.00 for sure…double or triple it minimum especially if wing is perforated and needs taking off…
I’m just about to have a small bootlid crease sorted ( paid for by the individual who nudged it).
2002 Crystal Blue mica.

£495.00 please. And that is mates rates at FozSports.
Boot is coming off for baking…no expense spared.

2 Likes

No, what it cost me to have a bumper repainted by a coachworks, about 3 years ago. Not a “mate”. Everyone has different experiences. I wouldn’t bother with rattle can repairs on such a prominant area. It ends up being a constant reminder how useless one is.

The offending area needs to be cleaned uo of rust, plus, if not holed, it will be pitted, so you will need filler, and then sanding it smooth. Pimer Sand against to take out the high spots. Repeat primer, saned. Paint. Runs everywhere. Spend two days rubbing it down, only to break through the primer. Wonder why the colour matched paint brought online doesn’t match. Spend ages fruitlessly trying to blend it. Get it kind of looking ok Then it dried, and looks cack. Give up, and handover to someone who knows what they are doing.

Its the top of a wing. You’re going to notice it everyday

Given the position, the cheap way to deal with it is a fender stripe

Not for everyone though.

1 Like

Look for a good used wing in the same colour andjust screw it on. Used spares for the MX5 are plentiful.

1 Like

Someetimes (often) breakers’ idea of a “good” wing doesn’t square with eveyone else (dings, dents, scratches).

Years ago, when a hard up postdoctoral Research Fellow, was disappointed to get a “good used” wing that was not only scratched, but the holes at the front were cut through because the scrapyard couldn’t be bothered to remove the bumper first.

1 Like