How loud is the MX5-Parts Stainless exhaust? OK for trackdays?

Hi All,

Just wanting to know if anyone has one of the MX5-Parts own-brand stainless exhausts fitted to a Mk2.5 and if it passes the noise tests for trackdays.

Our last one at Brands was with the car in bog-standard trim - so I don’t even think it moved the needle on the nose meter

Any advice would be useful as MX5 parts don’t know the decibel rating for their exhaust, they said it “should” be OK - but it’s a bit late to find out when you’ve paid up, driven to the circuit & then can’t get out to play!!

Many thanks

Hi Toolman
have single pipe type fitted to std 1.8 2.5. Don’t know if track legal but passed french MOT without problems if that helps. Assume UK MOT is similar. Sound is deeper but not excessive.
Frog

A lot of the racing cars have an mx5 parts stainless exhaust. I also have one. However they are all on Mk1s and they are fine for noise. I can’t see why a mk2 should be any different. Perhaps if you asked mx5 parts if the systems are of  similar manufacture it might give you an answer.

OK cheers guys. 

I have one on a MK2. Just a lower note than the standard pipe, not much louder. I’ve never tried a trackday, but mine is a lot quieter than some of the track cars running turbos I’ve heard.

I swapped out my mk1 stock system for a 421 manifold decat pipe and cobalt full rear system it’s no louder on tick over just a little louder at full song but it’s a lot deeper in sound have a listen to the video and see what you think

If your CAT is still installed it’ll be rich but reasonably subdued. You might get a bit of resonant “wow wow wow wow” in top between 65-75 mph.

If the CAT is removed, take ear plugs. It’s woeful inside at these speeds, and boy-racer around the streets.

Mine is perfectly acceptable at any speed and with my hard top on I can’t hear the exhaust at all unless the window is open and I have an induction kit as well and I’m 47 and definitely not a boy racer

Seems to vary from car to car for some odd reason but in broad brush terms, if the CAT is on, they are OK…ish.

If the CAT is removed, and a by-pass installed…the results can vary from bearable to Boots industrial ear-plug levels.

I took my single exhaust off my decatted Mk1, and installed a new OEM system onto the by-pass. It still gives a muted ripping cloth rasp…quite good really.

On the other hand, our Mk2.5 Sport’s, which clearly needs the CAT, sounds terrific up the revs with it’s single exit.

Even Mx5 Parts do say…increased noise may not be to everyone’s tastes. Or, words to that effect.

It will depend on many things, but a standard system apart from a back box should not expect many issues. 

However it also will depend on the noise limit on the day. Race meetings will, in the very vast majority, be 105dB minimum and may be 108 or unsilenced. A track day may well be 98 or even as low as 88 on some road car days. Bedford drive by is 87.5dB and there are no second chances. A normal car even with a “not stupid” back box should be fine.