How to sell my MX5

An update, and a final post, I hope.
The country garage I bought it from, a family firm dating back to my great aunt’s days running the post office up the road, have pointed out that, yes they will sell it for me, if I wish, but the price they would suggest is £2500, and that that price ( and my cut) represents nothing like the " practical value of the car, as it is a very strong, sound one without the rust that they usually have"… and so I was advised to hang onto it, as Mk1 prices are going up, if anything, and I will regret it later if I sell it so cheap.

And, you know, someone early in this thread said hang onto it for sunny days, and maybe that was the best idea. The over bearing , almost bullying attitude I got from some posts and a pm suggest that I’ll not discuss it further.

Please bear in mind that while most MX5 club members seem to be fans of all things mechanical , and tend to be blokey, many MX5 members are female,and just like a beautiful little car to drive, and don’t appreciate being addressed in " bar room " terms. Even " buddy", by one poster, albeit one with sensible suggestions to make.

Selling cars privately is not an easy option for any vulnerable person.People turn up, assume a woman or old person is an idiot ( and show it) and often try to take advantage. We are cautious, hence my oblique approach to the thread.

mustbemad - are you on a self righteous mission to annoy and alienate members of the MX5OC forum?

Without personal involvement, you have the unique priviledge of being added to my blacklist  - congratulations!  

Not at all… I’ve looked back at the thread, and can’t see what I have done wrong. I’ve tried to be honest, and practical, and seek information and help from other MX5 owners, yet I have had a few quite insulting and abrupt responses; including being castigated for trying to sell a Cat D car for 2000, when anyone who looks back will see that I havn’t done any such thing.

In fact there has been a tone of " what are you pulling here?" with the pointing out of my car being a Eunos as if that was a thing I had tried to slip past people

There may be a difference of style and expectation here**… I always try to be courteous, and have latterly felt I was defending myself against what I have felt were mostly surly, unhelpful, suspicious remarks.

** To the outside world, the tone comes over as laddish and rude. As has your post , out of the blue, " asking if I am on a mission to alienate …" Not at all. Though I am now alienated, you may be sure.

I won’t be bothering the forum on matters like THIS again. Thoroughly unpleasant treatment. I very much doubt if face to face people would be so rude to someone who they don’t know.

Thanks for those who posted sensible, helpful remarks.

I wasnt going to post on this subject again . 

But to let everyone know it was me who sent this lady a message. All i said was if you need some advice or pointers on selling ud be happy to give some. Or if it was a model i lliked i may buy it off her. Even added my number.

The way she keeps mentioning my pm makes me sound like i was badgering her. 

Im on a number of different forums and due to my experience in buying cars i often offer advice.

Ive never come across someone like this before. She seems to be the type who asks advice and if its not whst she wants to hear gets the hump.

This experience has left a bad taste in my mouth .

And yes you certainly have alienated me. 

Thread locked.