I am worried now

My thoughts in one. I’m about to service a car that I bought recently that’s only done 6000 miles in 4 years and not been serviced in that time! I’m expecting some issues

I don’t have an NC.

This forum needs splitting up into sections as per generation of MX5s, there are too many people posting up in threads that they have no knowledge of.

2 Likes

Or people could just take some time to read the topic content properly. Let’s not go off topic here please.

2 Likes

They could, but they won’t. Really there should be sub-sections clearly marked out.

I have read there is no oil temp sensor on the nd either,

My comments are all relevant. Oil takes longer to warm up than water in an engine, a lot longer. To give the engine chance to remove all of the condensation inside you have to get the oil up to full running temperature and keep it there a while. That doesn’t add to exhaust steam but it does add to corrosion to the internals if it’s not allowed to get hot enough.

Most engines have oil/water heat exchangers to help get the oil upto temperature more quickly but the oil still lags 30/40 degrees behind the water temperature, you need to put some miles in to get the oil hot. The NC may not have an oil temp probe I have no idea, but all engines are the same.

The main cause of steam from the exhaust will be condensation in the exhaust, short trips just keep on producing water that collects in the exhaust, hot gasses slowly boil it off as you drive the car. As many people have recommended a long old drive will sort it out. And it’s an essential journey in the MX5 to prevent costly repairs because you have identified a problem :+1::racing_car:

1 Like

I don’t dispute the presence of water in the exhaust or indeed the possibility of water condensate in the oil. I was enquiring about the possibility of a pid output for oil temperature thru obd which you said you had monitored on an app.

Often thought that too.
We see a good few “but what model do you have”.
Anyhow, we seem to bumble along OK in the end… :grinning:

Your post indicates that you are reading oil temp via an OBD device which is clearly not the case, man up and admit your mistake. Sorry is not difficult to say and makes you look a whole lot better.
:heart:

Not necessary in my opinion as the FIRST line states it’s an NC.
Even though others give opinions that own other marks the “Basic Principles” are the same and are therefore relevant.
Finally we have all managed all these years without making it any more complicated.

1 Like

Say sorry then you clown. I didn’t say I have an NC I said I monitor temps and I do.

That’s enough personal insults I think.