I have a decision to make.

Ok, here goes.

I am the proud owner of a lovely low mileage Kendo 2.0 which is my weekend fun car and weekends away car. During my working week I drive a newish Aygo to work and back, which is actually rather well appointed, frugal and usefull if  I need to carry 4 people.

The Aygo is on PCP which has some months to run (the mx5 is paid for). The added complication is that I have sort of inherited another car (Skoda Citigo) from my daughter who is now living and working in Malaysia. This car is also on PCP which is due to finish at approximately the same time as the Aygo.

So I have given myself 2 options when the Aygo and Citigo go back. I realize that asking the following question on an MX5 forum is unlikely to get a non-partizan response, but I’m hoping somebody out there has thought along similar lines and came to some sort of conclusion that could help me. Ok here goes.

Option 1. Keep the Mazda and invest in the BBR 200 tuning upgrade. (Which I’ve been considering for some time) 

Option 2. When the 2 PCP cars go back, buy an Abarth Competizione. 

I recently test drove the Abarth and I have to say it was great fun and went like a rocket.

I love my MX5 and wonder whether the BBR upgrade would make the performance as ‘peppy’ as the Abarth.

I suppose I’m hoping that somebody reading this has driven both and can give me some advice as to which way to jump.

From a purely financial point of view there are plus and minuses for both options, but my main interest is in the fun aspect of driving each vehicle.

Again I realize that I am unlikely to get an unbiased opinion on an MX5 forum (after all we all love our 5s) but all opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Heck Jeff! - only you can make this decision but do it on the basis of having tried another BBR turbo so there will be no guesswork

The Abarth 124 is not long for this world, in the UK, with Fiat curtailing UK sales. That will either mean incredible bargains to be had as Fiat dealers scramble to get rid of stock, or being stuck with an orphan car that Mazda dealers can’t look after, and Fiat dealers don’t care about, leading to eye watering depreciation. Don’t think its rarity translates into future classic, least not for the first 15-20 years.

Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione.

Interesting. I would like some BBR (or similar) work on my car too  but can’t justify it. I think that not having a four seat car may have you struggling from a practical point of view? Your fun days car suddenly becomes your only car, miles start to rack up, keeping it pristine, if that’s how you like it to be, becomes more of a chore too. I find that not driving my 5 all the time, when it does come out, it’s quite exhilarating, even without the performance mods. Personally, and this is only my opinion, I’d get my hands on a 595, a great car in my eyes  keep the 5 for the reasons you bought it in the first place and just enjoy both.

Barrie

Get the Fiat 

Keep the MX5 in it’s standard form for summertime, weekend open top motoring.

It’s paid for.

Lease the Arbarth for your speed rush.

All good responses.  ‘keep the 5 AND buy the fiat’ …hmmLaughing

A nephew of mine who likes, owns and drives/rides fast cars and bikes tried the Arbarth Competizione and although he rated the performance he said that driving it for any length of time was unbearable because the ride was akin to “a tea tray going down some very uneven steps”.  So make sure you test drive it on average British roads for a decent time to get a real “feel” before committing yourself and your hard earned cash.

Good advice…am sort of edging towards BBR upgrade.

Keep the Citigo and buy the best Mk1 you can.

Many thanks for all your replies. Just to let you know, I am heading up to BBR on Tuesday next week & booked a test drive in their Super 200 MX5.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers. 

I do like the idea of the BBR upgrade, but £2k is a lot to spend on mods.

Something that you’re unlikely to recoup when you move on.

However, in the scheme of things, £2k is cheaper than the Fiat.

My thoughts exactly. Quite a lot cheaper actually.

Unlikely to recoup yes, but ultimately the mx5 stays as my weekender as is now, so mileage will stay low as i won’t be using it during the week whereas

with the Abarth I would be using it every day & soon rack up the miles. swings & roundabouts…

(plus my wife absolutely loves the MX5 with the roof down…and deep down we all know who the real boss is)

Are you sure you could live with that OTT RASPING exhaust day after day after day after day ad nauseam???  As well as the teeth shattering ride?? I know I couldn’t!!

Keep the Citigo and the “5” as someone previously suggested!

BUy the new mazda mark 4 sport nav plus.i had the first mark 4,the new 2 litre model more power,when run in totally different to first mark 4,then you have the real thing a mazda mark 4,it will feel like flying lessons,and you can stay in the club.

All best Simon

Yes that would be nice but unfortunately the budget doesn’t stretch.

Look at other tuners, you will get more for your money. Mine was done by Autotronix. He does mx5 race cars

Get the FIAT only if you are confident about where you are going to get it serviced and you can weather the depreciation it will have. If you are not 100% on these you will never enjoy the ownership. It will take decades to own the car as a future classic and perhaps get some return on it. Otherwise treat your MX.