Incoming 30AE RF

Well, after much negotiation I’ve pulled the trigger on an apparently lightly used, standard, one owner 3k mile AE RF, complete with the 30AE booklet etc, which I should collect at some point over the next few days🙂.
Never even driven any MX5 over any distance (a few miles in an ND ST a few years ago), so the first drive will be the 150 miles home.
I have bought and paid for it subject to inspection and approval, plus I have the option to turn around after driving it away and return it for a full cancellation and refund if it doesn’t drive as it should, and it’s being sold by a Mazda Dealer, so I think I’ve covered all the bases. It does look as new in photos and videos, and has lived in the South West, so there shouldn’t be any salt issues, but as we all know photos can lie.
I’m lucky in as much as I’ve been on the sidelines of the motor trade and cars for most of my working life so think I know all of the obvious things to check with used cars, and how to assess them for paint, panel, trim and interior condition, as well as the mechanical side of things.
Probably because of my background I’m really concerned my specific MX5 knowledge, particularly regarding body, subframe and suspension components surface corrosion even at this age and mileage, (I would expect zero issues but maybe being unrealistic) may be lacking. so anything anyone can suggest that’s worth giving specific attention to will be gratefully received, as even I’m not too old to learn🤭.
I’ll post a few pics when I’ve got it, and I think first priority will be corrosion protection, once things warm up and dry out a little, and of course lockdown eases.
Thanks for reading, and apologies if I’ve rambled a bit - I’m just paranoid about used cars and missing something.

11 Likes

Good luck with the new dar,a great choice !
Shouldn’t find anything wrong although check the condition of the drivers seat bolster,if worn the dealer should be able to get done for
You under warranty
Just relax and smile :grinning:

1 Like

Congratulations, you will be one happy bunny.
Do just check the condition of the discs if it has been stood a while. Light rust will glean off with use. Also just check for damage to the wheels, they are an expensive item.
:heart:

Fantastic and welcome to the orange :tangerine: club
The only thing I can think of is you may have to have your grin surgically removed after your 150 mile journey home .

2 Likes

Congratulations… I don’t think it will take long to like you new 30AE RF… My first proper drive was 85 miles when I picked mine up on purchase - Drove all the way home, roof down at the expense of a slightly burnt head last July :slight_smile:
Just give it a good visual look over and a test drive - sure you’ll bring it home and be very happy… :slight_smile:
Rob

Good luck. I can’t help thinking tho but isn’t a 300 mile round trip in breach of covid regs? I don’t think picking a new car up is classed as essential travel.

1 Like

Welcome to the Orange clan. The others have pointed out little things to look out for. My only addition is to say that as you proposed get the underbody treated asap, it will save you in the long-run. Have fun!

All done within current covid regulations regulations - I wouldn’t be travelling if it wasn’t.
I can also view potential houses as we’re actively looking to move home.
I guess that although the rules are rightly very strict, they do allow for some trading to continue to help keep the economy from complete meltdown.

1 Like

At that mileage and being Mazda approved used, you should not have any issues. Maybe ask to see the HPi check, that’s it’s not on finance, or been in an accident.
It won’t have any rust on it, it is far too young. Just keep the arches and underside pressure washed off and you won’t have any problems for years. The ND has wheel arch liners front and back and plastic side sill trims and an engine undertray, so they are fairly well protected.
The only rust on mine at 3 years old was some surface rust on the rear subframe, which I rubbed down and touched up with black hammerite.

1 Like

very nice choice , looking forwards to seeing pics :sunglasses:

Excellent. I’m sure the 30AE will bring you much pleasure, it sounds like a top car. Good time of year to buy with the Spring and Summer to look forward to.

One thing to check… behind and under the seats, check it isn’t wet.
If it’s been sat for a while, not beyond the realms the drain holes have not been cleared for a while.

Cars are still being delivered to dealers/traders/buyers by many means, including “delivery” drivers (they can’t work from home can they!). so you could say that you are delivering a car, which would be true.
PS: I had a car delivered to me a couple of weeks ago from a dealer 70+ miles away. There was the guy driving my car and another guy in another car to take him back! So I don’t think you’d have any trouble!

Good tip to check the carpet behind the seats for wetness, thanks, that’s something I wouldn’t have done.
Have asked for a copy of HPI, and a hard copy of the first service details, (which the dealer I’m buying from did)
In addition I’m going to run a Vcheck on it (unrecorded salvage history) Probably unnecessary, but you never know. My paranoia kicking in😂.
Getting quite exited, more so than any other recent new car.
May ‘cos it’s Orange :roll_eyes:

I have had a couple of hot hatchbacks recently - Clio 182 and my last car Fiesta ST Mk7 - Both great little cars, which I really like - The difference is I love my MX-5ND2 :slight_smile:
Hope you’ll add pics to my ND thread once you have got yours! :slight_smile:

So check the paint for swirls, I’m sure they will be there. If they are, ask for money towards a paint correction, I did and got £200 towards a stage 1 correction.

Also, raise the roof half way, so the rear it up in the air, check how clean the carpet is, the bit where the roof will stow, behind the seats. Mine was filthy, another indication of Main Dealer prep on a year old car with 3k miles!!

One thing that has been a problem on the ND is the rear hub carrier bushes wearing prematurely. Apparently it is a very expensive job as they have to replace the entire hub.
Buying approved from a Mazda dealer should mean no reason to worry but I purchased mine from Milcars Mazda without being able to inspect as it was so far away from home but was the first one I had found with the spec I wanted at a price I could afford. Slightly high on mileage at 43k for a 5yr old car but I had to commit or lose the opportunity. Unfortunately it had been Mot’d just before lockdown and then put up for sale 3 months later once they were allowed to open. They clearly did not PDI the car properly as when I got it home and checked the rear tyres they were low on tread and one had a nail in it which had clearly been there for some time. All the rear suspension joints were caked in mud and grass from a trip across a muddy field and this had set rock hard due to it’s 3 month storage.
The wheels nuts were tightened to such a degree that a long bar was required to undo them and as a consequence the locking wheelnut key disintegrated after removal of the rears meaning a trip to a local dealer to use their master set. Milcars did send me a new set as they are guaranteed by Mazda.
After a couple of weeks I noticed an oil leak on my block paving and a trip to my local Mazda dealer ended in them finding it had been overfilled. They also noticed that the rear brake pads were almost non existant and that there was play on the rear hub carriers. Luckily they were able to arrange the hub carriers replacement through the Mazda used car warranty but I had to shell out for the brake pads as they are consumables.
So the moral of the story is never assume that because it’s a Mazda main dealer there will be no problems and it is wise to have a proper check over from an independant source.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, they’re much appreciated and helpful.
I’m aware that buying from a main dealer is no more of a guarantee of a decent car than buying anywhere else, hence my reticence to buy sight unseen.
Weighing it up, the low number of 30AE RF’s sold new, the fact they’re all getting older, another 6 weeks of ongoing covid restrictions (rightly so imho), the walk away if you’re not happy guarantee, and this one is on the face of it is a good one, so I decided to go for it.
I guess I’ll find out Thursday what it’s really like when I go to collect it.:grin:.
My wife thinks I’ve totally lost the plot, as it’s not yet another mega quick BMW😂.
I’ll report back Thursday hopefully with pics. Wish me luck

1 Like

Good luck on Thursday and I’m sure you’ll be well happy! Look forward to seeing the pics… :slight_smile:

Congrats!
Your only regret will be not buying the soft top :wink:
I agree with above comments, there’s very little to watch out for on these - but wheels are expensive
7k miles in my 30th Anniversary (soft top) now, brilliant cars. And I too have come from a long line of fast BMWs and Porsches. I race an MX5 too.