Influencer?

Magazines letting the eager public follow the glamorous lives of Hollywood stars etc were flying off the shelves before any of us were born. Clark Gable takes off his shirt in a film revealing that he isn’t wearing a vest and sales of vests plummet. Does it again and this time he is wearing a vest, sales boom.

Having a fashionable name for it doesn’t make it new, and I don’t think many of us here are the target audience for vapid lifestyle tips from people who have the kind of lives we’d “rather not be bothered with”. I imagine the feeling would be mutual. It takes all kinds.

It’s the new word for “freeloader”.

4 Likes

I have noticed a few @gifted reviews on instagram.

Is it the case that someone with x number of followers might be given a freebie if they post nice things about the thing that is gifted?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just don’t really understand the modern social media world. I watch incredulously and can’t make sense of it.

Yes, I’ve heard the word " influencer" crop up a few times and was curious, apparently there are some genuine ones that have some influence within big company’s , but there seems to also be a huge amount of egotistical self appointed influencers on Facebook , twitter and all that , that for some reason gather " Followers " who hang on their every word, who ( well some anyway ) then use the fact that they can influence these people for personal gain, a bit like blackmail, give me something for nothing, or cheap, or I’ll tell everybody, well that’s my take on it anyway from what I’ve been told, correct me if I’m wrong.
Curiosity satisfied, I think I will steer clear of all this unnecessary social media cr*p and keep things simple.

2 Likes

Sheep herding comes to mind.

One shepard, a faithful dog well commanded can round up a flock of sheep and pen them.

Are influencers sheep dogs?

2 Likes

This forum is the only “Social Media” I go to and I can be a bit of an outsider on that at times, the rest of these sites are for the those with a “Herd” instinct, and I’ve never been accused of that!!!

3 Likes