Installing MK3.5 Heated Seats in a MK3

I’d be grateful if you could expand on that in language suitable for a 5 year old please.
Do I not need two variable controllers, one for each seat, at the very least??

Hi, check under the passenger seat and check how many leads go into the large white connector ie: airbag, occupancy sensor,

heater elements i
If the seats have heater elements you need to check behind the 12v socket panel to see if the heater switch plugs are there.? I looked in from the drivers footwell with a torch.

1 Like

Sorry, Spring intervened with looking at enabling the, possible/likely but not enabled, heated seats in my nc2 Miyako with leather seats.
However, cold weather is with us again, so I would like to revisit this.
What am I looking for in the white connector?
Are the yellow, grey and green plugs the airbag, occupancy sensor and heater elements referred to, so if I have all three, I have the built in elements??

Are the seats originally fitted ?

1 Like

Yes, they are original fitment.
Merry Xmas btw

It seems the Miyako didn’t have heated seats although they are leather. I doubt just adding the switching needed would actually enable the heater in the seats, if it isn’t there in the first place.
I believe the harness is there on most models, you then need switches and then a set of heated seats. As it’s an NC2 you need variable switching, the seats to match (NC2) The NC1 didn’t have the variable option, it was just on or off for the seats and of course they changed the wiring to accommodate the variable option for the NC2.
A member has been able to add his own heater pads and switching to an NC, how exactly that worked is beyond my capabilities, as yourself I’m not competent enough.

Yes sorry Merry Christmas,
Do you have in the loom that comes out of the floor under the seat all the wires in the picture,the permanently joined wires are the seat airbag done by a previous owner (should be a yellow plug)

Thanks, will check later…

If there is no integral heating, I probably won’t bother but there does seem to be a school of thought that the leather seats all had heating built into them and all the nc2s had the same loom so it’s just a matter of installing the controllers.
Well worth checking out I reckon.
Merry Xmas

It wouldn’t have been a big deal cost wise to include and install the switches in the factory if they were fitting seats that had heater pads. Then they could market the Miyako has having that option.
As you say no harm in investigating further, you need Robbie to confirm, I guess he’ll know if anyone.:+1:
All the best🎄

This is what I have under the passenger seat

It’s inconclusive really, the wiring will be there from the main loom, it’s what’s connected to the seat.
All the NC’s will have the connection block then it depends what will be wired up at the block on the seat. Some just had the the occupation sensor then add side airbag and heated seat pad wiring.
I still don’t think yours will have heater pads.

1 Like

Looks as though you’re right.
There are 3 lots of wires going in on the long side of the pictured block but only the two coming out from the short side at the back.
Never mind, it was worth a look.

Piers, before I give up on this totally, you said that your seats came from a car that didn’t theoretically have heated seats as a standard feature but the seats did have heater pads in them nonetheless.
Can you remember if the seats came with the heater pad connector plugged into the white connector block or were they tucked away somehow??

Hi, yes the heater pads were already wired into the white connector block, no additional wires were required

Thanks for that.
As I have 3 connectors going into the white block but only two coming out, it looks as though I’m less lucky.
Mine’s an nc2 and I think your seats came from an nc3, so maybe that’s the difference.

Does a height-adjustable NC3.5 drivers seat have a different slider rail to the standard one on the passenger side? The underside of the two seats ( driver vs passenger) look completely different.

I’m afraid I can’t help with your question, never having taken a seat out but you have a blue plug for seat heating there.
What’s the story?
Is that an original seat to your car and did it come with heated seats, controllers etc as a standard, enabled feature of your car?
Ps happy to take a look at my seats for you if you can tell me what I’m looking for.

Well first off, the second picture the seat hasn’t any runners at all or fixings. The first picture, is it actually an MX-5 seat and I can’t see runners. TBH I haven’t seen under a NC2 seat, both also look to be missing the electrical connector block (white)

Yes, both seats are without seat runners in these pictures, to show what the runners have to mate up with. The coloured electrical connectors have been removed from the white connector block, for modification of the heater switch electronics.