Intermittent dashboard hand brake light

I have a Nevada 1.8 I have read the topics. When driving the warning light comes on. When I stop and apply the handbrake with engine running. And then take it off it only dims the light. Engine turned off no problem. New brake master fitted. Fluid level OK. Brake pads good. Switch to hand brake seems good. If it is an earth or short problem. Where do look.

I have the exact same problem, general feeling is it may be : sticking switch, damp in a connector, bad earth, I haven’t gotten around to sorting it yet.

Thanks. I will for the moment assume the switch is good. But does any one know which damp connector or which earth to check. And there location?

I don’t know that but would start at the level sensor seeing if it sticks and checking any connectors in the vicinity then do the same with the handbrake lever switch, in my opinion that would be starting with the easiest and working from there

OK. Does any one know the earth points. I can work my way through those

Referring to the warning hand brake light. The garage did a diagnostic check. Found front left ABS wheel sensor faulty. Cleared the fault code. But as the light flashed on and off during the check. Told me to monitor the situation. Every thing else is good. I can only think that it may be an earth fault? I had the brakes rear calipers adjusted. Giving me an hand brake which stops the car at normal speeds. Previously the stopping was poor. Adjusing the hand brake cable is not good enough. Calipers need the adjustment also.

Disconnect/remove the handbrake switch wires from the switch then connect and disconnect the wires together.
Same with the wires to the brake reservoir, disconnect/remove and then put the wires together.
With the ignition ‘on’ this will prove if the switches are faulty.
Don’t assume the switches are faulty or not, prove them.

1 Like

Interestingly the problem seems to have resolved for me, I can only assume that it must be the switch/level sensor has freed or cleaned itself with use.

Warning light back again. Dims when released with engine running. Safety match. Do you mean disconnect wires at hand brake switch and sensor. Fasten the hand brake wires together. Then fasten sensor wires together. Turn ignition on and then what? Do you know if I can replace the sensor in brake fluid bottle without buying another.

Ok, find your handbrake switch check there is nothing metal (coins are favourite) trapped near the switch then remove both wires from the switch.
Remove both wires going to the master cylinder cap or reservoir (could be either it depends on the set up).
Start your engine or turn the ignition on, you should now have no brake warning light showing on the dash.
Sit in the car and touch the disconnected handbrake wires together (not the switch wires) you should now have a solid red light on the dash, now reconnect the wires, if you don’t have a good light your switch is faulty!
If the light is good leave the wires disconnected and get somebody to sit in the car, with car running or ignition on and touch the reservoir wires together,(the loom wires, not the wires coming from the reservoir), you should now have a good solid red light, refit the wires to the m/cyl reservoir, if the light is dim or intermittent the reservoir switch is faulty.

Before doing any work or tests recheck the fluid level, metal or coins restricting the switch or handbrake lever.

Where abouts Northwest are you?

Just looked at hand brake. Only one wire to hand brake switch

Remove the wire from the switch and touch it to ‘bare’ metal not painted metal, you should get a good dash light.
You won’t cause any damage.