Intermittent steering pulsating

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 2.0
  2. I’m based near: Birmingham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Wheel pulsating
    Hi, I am experiencing an annoying intermittent pulsating feeling at speeds between 50-60mph. It feels just like a front wheel is not balanced properly but it can’t be that because it is so intermittent rather than a constant problem. Any ideas gratefully received!

Apart from checking you haven’t lost a wheel weight and or have the wheels rebalanced it could be a brake issue. Check if the discs are getting hot, one only maybe at the front, a sticking caliper?

1 Like

Could be a sticking brake, use a infa red thermometer to check both front brake/wheels when it happens. Don’t burn yourself!

Had a Jeep twenty plus years ago with this problem, Sometimes the brakes stuck on and kept building up heat and other times when the brakes were used less, they cooled down and the out of balance effect went away. Jeep changed the manufacture of the front callipers after two years.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply - it doesn’t seem to be linked to when I am braking (it seems to happen at random) - hence, am sceptical that it is brake drag

Thanks - I will check the brakes but it doesn’t seem to be linked with when I am braking

When the wheel feels like it’s pulsating, do you feel the pulsating through the steering wheel?

You’ve dismissed advice from two people without testing to rule out a common fault by saying it doesn’t happen when your braking, guess what, the pulsating from a sticking and overheating brake can be noticeable when your not braking. Rule this suggestion out please!

Also worth checking the tread on the tyres for lumps, uneven wear.

3 Likes

maybe that the tyres are shot and you have a bulge or for some reason either wheel or tyre is damaged or simply the wheel is unbalanced. just get the wheels checked and take it from there