Is a new Router necessary?

Interesting comments, thanks fella’s!

We get around 36mps down and 8 up, and have been told it’s pretty much as good as it gets as we’re on copper wire to the BT box nearly a mile away.
Does this sound plausible please?

1 Like

That sounds quite reasonable for copper, depends on what the cabinet is equipped with too.

1 Like

Thanks Ian, I believe that from the cabinet onwards is fibre, but have no idea what is actually inside it.
Comms is just not my bag, so I have to rely on what others tell me being something near accurate :thinking:.
Appreciate the reply.

All this is totally alien to me. I looked at this thread thinking it was going to be a discussion on wood working tools :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The MacAllister MRO1500 router I bought from B&Q in 2009 is excellent, very ergonomic, paid for itself several times over, still good, so a new one is not necessary.

Oops, that’s veneering out of the groove, sorry…

2 Likes

Very good Richard. I’ve been using my 110 volt makita router today hanging doors

Not bad at all. It suggests your wiring is sound.

Chances are your line is bandwidth/cost capped, 36Mbits is one of the common limit numbers eg from Plusnet (owned by BT).

Diagnostics on some modems can give you (the subscriber) the signal to noise ratio, both on transmit and receive. Basic cheap ones normally hide this info from subscribers, although it is used all the time to negotiate the bitrate; a cleaner line enables a faster possible bitrate.

This afternoon I was reassuring an elderly friend while her new Plusnet ADSL modem was being installed. The previous one had dropped to 1Mbit, 0.2Mbit and Plusnet agreed there was a problem. The new one provided by the engineer gave 4Mbit and 0.8Mbit, but he was not happy.

He did some more tests, went up the pole outside, re-made the connections and the rates went up to 8Mbit, 0.8Mbit.

He was slightly happier and then asked why she hadn’t gone to fibre, from which most other subscribers in the road are getting 50Mbits. She said “It’s too expensive for an ancient pensioner.”

She’s right, even 4Mbits is ample enough for her use of the internet.

He was a nice chap, looked at the sockets and phone wiring inside the house as well, even though his line checker showed the only problem was a bit further away, either top or bottom of the pole depending on how much wire was in the house.