Is there a 4 seater convertible equivalent of the MX-5?

Isn’t that 4 cylinder kompressor motor the one that had timing chain problems?

My other car is a 2001 Merc 320 CLK Convertible. Had it from nearly new. Love it almost as much as my MX

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions folks. I think I’m gonna test drive the BMW 2 series and Mini Cooper soft-tops once lockdown over and potentially look at GT86 nearer to next winter.

1 Like

I had a 2001 230k CLK elegance Cabriolet for a year.
Was a lovely old bus, I really enjoyed it. It was navy blue, blue hood and stone leather.
Had to replace the passenger door actuator as that had an air leak, meaning it would not unlock sometimes.
Beyond that it was reliable for its age.
However it was rotting away behind the plastic sill covers and the rear arches.

Were those the cars you could get in to by using half a tennis ball?

The fact that you refer to it as an “old bus” says a lot. I do not think that there is really a 4 seat equivalent to an MX5. You could always get 2 MX5’s if there are 4 of you? Definitely a compromise, but is it really?

2 Likes

Probably the classic 4 seat convertible is the E30 325i. You may all recall the top gear special on it.

Compact, quick, convertible, rwd l, not laden with driver aids known as a drivers car, reducing in numbers at a rate of knots as they succumb.

Yes I think you could. Any car with vacuum central locking, the mk3 Golf had it also.

How about one of these?

Morgan?

:+1:

A great amount of rear room in that. Not cheap though…

I’m 52 - while I’ve seen a 4 seater I’ve never ever seen four people in a Morgan.

I am 54 (ha ha) and me neither! In reality not really the sort of car that you would use for a family as I am sure very few people have these as an only car…

1 Like

I just can’t envisage any circumstance when four people would be happy to get in that to go anywhere. I’m a reasonably well heeled bloke. I live in the country, I’ve even been known to motor to the pub on a sunny Sunday. And I’d be going on my own if I presented this as the mode of transport due to my kids not wanting to be a laughing stock or wind blasted. I’d rather go in a mini scamp.

I can remember my nan & grandad picking my brother and I up from primary school every now and again.
It was a bit of a squeeze but once we had decided which leg was going where we tucked in quite nicely behind the seats in their Triumph Spitfire Mk 3 for the short journey home…

If you’re willing to buy second hand, how about Saab 93 convertible. Still a good looking car despite the years.

1 Like

A Saab 9-3 convertible with the 2.8 turbo engine 250bhp as standard is quite a nice car and will accommodate 4 people. I’ve got a 2.8t saloon and it’s a sheep in wolfs clothing and certainly surprises the boy racers at traffic lights

How about a couple of left field choices as most things are well covered. For that money you will get an Evoque convertible. Fun but in a 4x4 way. Or even a late model Jaguar XK 5.0 convertible, the rear seats are cramped but I can get in for a short journey.

What does it do - bog down and cut out.

Sorry sorry sorry - I couldn’t resist - welcome to pedants corner :grinning:

I like Saab’s too.

1 Like