Jon's 2008 NC1 1.8

After reading through Ger’s post I got a bit inspired and decided to post up some details of my new 5!

I was down in Portsmouth at the end of August, visiting friends and I asked what had happened to the guys MX-5 that he used to have. It seemed to have been replaced by a Clio! Turns out, he just needed something cheap with more seats and so had bought his Mum’s Clio and the 5 was stuck outside his parents house waiting for him to get around to trying to sell it. A bank transfer later and I drove it back home to warwickshire that weekend!

It’s a basic spec 1.8 and was looking very sorry for itself. It clearly needed a lot of work to clean it up and it was full of water from blocked drain channels, but, the engine was sound, mileage was reasonable, it had been kept up to date with servicing and the bodywork was solid. I had bagged myself a bargain!

After the drive home I decided straight away that the first thing it needed was a new stereo! I can’t live without Android Auto anymore. So the standard Pioneer Double Din went in. Then it was on to the cleanup. I’m afraid I don’t have the detailing tools or the skills of Ger, so I booked the car in to a local firm for the detailing. They made a video! I realize it’s essentially a marketing video, but I’m going to share it here, as it really does show how much work goes into restoring the car and how good a job these guys can do.

After the detailing was complete I knew I had to figure out what was going on with all the water in the car. I need to dig out the photos I took of that job, so I’ll post again next week.

This car is going to be a long term project. I have a lot of plans for it, but I have to pace myself a bit with how much I spend on it and when. Right now though, loving being an MX-5 owner and really looking forward to the journey :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the wonderful world of MX5 ownership,becomes a labour of love very quickly,this forum is invaluable for tips and assistance,trombone brush off ebay for the roof drains,and push through from the top and pull out from underneath,as a rough guide,stand at the back wheel and aim for the gearlever with the drain brush…

I don’t think it’s a Basic 1.8. It looks like an option pack 1.8.

Basic had a vinyl hood. Steel wheels

@richardn Thanks, that’s good info! I had assumed it was the basic model due to the lack of fog lights.
@dazzler011 Yes, I’ve learned a lot from this forum already! I went full attack mode on the drain hoses - everything came out!

I am having the work with my 07 MX5 1.8. Only done 23000 miles but has suffered by not being driven . Only a few hundred miles a year for last three years ! Brakes (one new calliper and overhaul plus new rear pads ) are now fine. Full service . Even the power steering fluid changed as I believe it was original and never so hanged before by the look of it. That is a dead easy job even for me with no mechanical skills. I have also dyed the hood with canvas dye and proofed it. That really smartened it up. Gearbox oil and turret oil next .