Just a quick spin...............literally!

Oh dear don’t jinx it @DILLIGAF :grinning:

My wife manage to 360 our Toyota Previa now that takes some doing!

You were foolhardy and lucky mate - not recommended on a main road. Hope “shitting your pants” will help you remember to be a responsible driver in future !

1 Like

Almost had the same a while ago. I turned onto a road. It was empty so I disabled DSC and pushed it. Almost lost it, ego hurt but even if I had spinned there was enough time to easily get away. Since then I have kept DSC on and only disabled it when I had even more space to start experimenting. Starting to get to know the car :slight_smile: For me, the key in learning to get into a controlled slide is learning how to dose the gas pedal. Just like learning to brake or drive away when you started to do driving lessons.

I’ve only had my ND 1.5 three months and often broken away the rear just turning in the wet. It’s so controllable I find myself turning on a town road and just giving it a little nudge around with the throttle. Amazing. Makes me wish my VW transporter was rear wheel drive too! :joy:
Very happy I didn’t get the 2 litre. I don’t think it would have been quite so easy to control.

My old Spitfire was good at that, the road only had to be a little moist (good word )going round a roundabout and the back would let go :astonished:

1 Like

I have done afew track days in my BMW (340hp with lsd) and lost count of the number of MX5s that I have seen that have got the tail out then over corrected and shot off the road when the back kicks back the other way.

Any idea why this is?
Lower power meaning the throttle is just an on/off switch?
No LSD making drifting less controllable?
Just poor driving?

Sounds like lift off oversteer. Being an ■■■■ needs commitment and feel.

I blame Clarkson/Hammond/May for this. The TV style of driving, done for drama, always suggested tail out driving as being quick, but which is in fact too slow to be fast, but is still enough to catch out the less skilful.

1 Like

Clearly I fall into that category :wink: :grinning:

1 Like

There’s a reason why professional drivers don’t kick out the rear or slide too much. It scrubs off the speed so is ultimately slower.
I did a drift day in a Caterham which was a blast but is a different discipline altogether.
However, i too have swapped ends on a roundabout in my Eunos. A bit abrupt but fortunately no harm done.

1 Like

As an ex biker roundabouts are a nightmare waiting to happen I would suggest 9 out of 10 roundabouts are slippy. Lorries going round them with high levels of fuel spill it all over the road. I have seen this many times. I have come off my bike on a roundabout no soft bits on tarmac. watch out.

3 Likes

Diesel spilling from over filled tanks, add in a bit of rain and the manhole cover that always seems to be just where you need to place the front wheel. Yes, riding bikes is hazardous without taking into account drivers with no road sense or courtesy.

1 Like

The old five ways roundabout in Erdington, Xmas 1966; 5mph, black-ice = broken right ankle. I still have the scar.

Worse still was going to work in Leeds one quiet Sunday morning on my Honda 250RS, when a “blind” taxi driver entered the roundabout without slowing down. One witness said I looked like Superman, as I hit his front wing, before flying over his bonnet and stopping in a mess on the other side. Sadly I never rode again, as a compacted spine and cracked ribs suggested I drove instead.

But, every day I rode that bike, I could hear my heart beating as I prepared to ride away from home. It was so exciting to know what lay ahead, taxis permitting. Now, roof down, especially if it is warm and sunny, or even on a crisp morning, sans roof, I get the same feeling.

Roll on lockdown lifting and less of the snow and rain.

5 Likes