Just Restored! My MK2.5 Sport

??

I was thinking the very same thing.

Anyone else got away with positioning the number plate in this area, MK1 - MK2.5?

MX5 take some serious effort to get hot and run well even with blocked rads. Perhaps drill a few holes it it:-)

The plate on my Mk is still on the front bumper - despite the plastic plinth having an earlier history of coming loose (the OE two part, plastic rivets really weren’t up to much) but I fixed it by replacing them with nylon inserts in the bumper and stainless self tapping screws and washers through the plinth.

The plate in the lower aperture does look nice but I would be vigilant about monitoring a possible lack of airflow to the rad; maybe perfectly OK this time of year but more of a factor later in the new year if we ever get some warmer weather. That inlet is the only place for cooling airflow.

I know an owner (who is occasionally on this forum) ran numberplate letters attached to the grill, a la Lotus Elan, and had overheating at the track. Yes, I know that wasn’t a legal plate.

The issue is that the temperature gague is dampened; it doesn’t move right of centre until things are getting seriously hot. So, it might appear things are ok, but you are stressing the motor. Years ago, I linearized the gauge on a Mk1 (changing a resistor, so the gauge responded properly), and was surprised how much hotter the car ran with a Duetto grill (that was one of those drilled stainless steel grills). Since then, I won’t fit grills to my MX5s. Mazda in Europe supplied a black plastic grill, set well back, and with pretty wide openings (inch or so?) for the Mk2.5 only.

Also important that the airguide is present and undamaged.

Now I’m torn… I don’t like the look of the numberplate at the front right on the nose, it takes away the shape. I’m not young enough to have an offset plate. But I certainly don’t want overheating issues!

Maybe I’ll try a slightly smaller numberplate in the grille location. Or is that likely to not allow enough airflow?

I still hope that living on the Isle of Wight and therefore having no motorways or traffic jams may minimise any potential overheating.

How young do you need to be?

I fitted a “slimmer” plate direct to bumper as a way to keep the lines of

the mouth showing

Alfas look great with an offset plate!

But when I see a central mounting recess on a modern car and an offset numberplate slapped on the side of a bumper I ask myself why they’ve done it. If I question a fashion, I’m too old for it ??

Love that!! Do you know what size plate that is?

Age & “maturity” are grossly over-rated.  

You are as young as the car you drive

Wise words! 

(I may come across as being an old fart but I’m only 37) ??

Whaaat? Just a cheeky nipper laddie!

67 here. Do I care?

Just had my Mk1 refurbed for “retirement” years with low as yer Grannies jugs suspension, slightly aggressive but non chav exhaust…etc. 

Ready to frighten the peasants…erm…pheasants.

The MX5 has no central mounting recess. Fitting a mounting bracket to a tie down bracket is a fairly practical response to fitting a plate, without damaging bodywork. Plus if displaying the car, removing the bracket can be performed quickly.

Dare we ask just how much it all cost? I would estimate a figure not far off £3K

same length as standard 520 but slimmer than standard 111

so is    520 x 83

New sills inner and outer, rear quarters, one front wing, refurbed wheels, full service, new screen, new foglights, two new tyres, brakes, brake pipe, steering pipe, mot… Etc

More like three-and-a-half grand! But worth it. And I got a very good deal too!!

Looks like money well spent Darren. I’m sure someone could have done a “cheaper” job but you know the works been done to the highest standard.

If you’re keeping it long term you’ll soon recover from the “pain” of the restoration and still have a car that’s worth £3K plus (and rising!) if kept in that condition.

Great job, enjoy your MX5!

Peter

Pretty much the same (well + £500.00) I spent on the Mk1 Darren, and I’m not done yet.

My wife’s Sport you saw…around £4.5k but that included new alloys & rubber, SS exhaust and odds n sods.

What we do is not for everyone, but then, there is a reason why restoration businesses exist.

Some folk just prefer old school simplicity. 

I do know the Mk1 gets loads more positive attention than SWMBO’s  or the now (fairly common) ND…probably as they are getting rarer and  a lot of folk simply do not know what they are anymore.

[quote=Darren MZ]

New sills inner and outer, rear quarters, one front wing, refurbed wheels, full service, new screen, new foglights, two new tyres, brakes, brake pipe, steering pipe, mot… Etc

More like three-and-a-half grand! But worth it. And I got a very good deal too!!

nice car , 

i expected it to be 4k for all that work

well done