Key problem

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC 2008
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    Hi loll

Neither of my 2 MX5 keys are opening the car remotely. Same with the remote boot opening. I can open the car normally with the key but that sets the alarm off until the engine is started. Turning the ignition to full on does not kill the alarm I have to actually start the engine.

I have fitted new batteries to both keys recently but at least one of the keys worked ok…… Any ideas guys ? Cheers

Ok, this is going to sound like I’m a plonker … when I fitted my new battery yesterday there was a sticker on it to make it taste bad in an attempt to stop young children swallowing it. The instructions specifically say do not remove it … even though my electrical brain said surely it will affect the connection I didn’t remove it. :man_facepalming: Key didn’t work! Removed the sticker and hey presto. Now I am not saying you might have done the same but just putting it out there …

As an aside its the first time in owning 5 new Mx-5s I’ve ever had to change a battery in a fob. I dislike the new fobs even more than before …

If you lock the car with the keyfob but open with the key the alarm will go off,if you unlock the car with the keyfob so the lights flash even though it doesn’t unlock the car you should be able to use the key without setting alarm off.

Can’t help why things aren’t unlocking though.

1 Like

You can try bending the connecting tangs to the battery s little. Another I’ve had to do is pad out the buttons that get pressed. It involves stripping the key apart and taking out the touchpad part of it. You’ll see where the buttons contact pad, I bulked them up with some very small circular gel sticky pads. Luckily I have a wife that keeps such supplies (crafter) it did the trick to fix a none working key fob.
Also if all fails you can get replacement key fobs, just transfer the gubbins over from the old one.

3 Likes

It was those tangs so thanks Mick very much appreciated :+1::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes