Knocking Sound - Any Ideas?

Hi all,

my car has seemed to aquire a knocking sound. The best way i can sort of describe it is ;  if you imagine shaking a cardboard box with a few nuts & bolts in the bottom - its a kind of muffled knocking sound which only occours when i go over bumbs at a slow speed and sounds like its more towards the front of the car -  it sounds like something is loose but i’ve shaked the exhaust about and it doesnt seem to be that, checked the spare wheel and jack - they’re in tight so its not them. could it be the suspension catching on something?

running out of ideas of what it could be… any one else got any ideas or experienced something similiar?

thanks in advance

Check the boot for a box with some bolts in it [:$]

and also the suspension bushes and mounts for play

Most probably the brake pads on one of your corners rattling against the discs.
Mine sounded like a stack of plates in the boot. The numpty grease monkeys hadn’t replaced the brake pad shims or springs on any of the brakes when they did the pads and discs. I do my own work now. At least if it breaks or fails it is my own fault. and I don’t have to leave my car with a building ful of high school drop outs.

You can’t go deleting posts anymore either, like you did on the other forum, Robbie - the new system emails the full post as soon as you press “Post” [;)]

FWIW, full stop should have been a comma and the new forum system deletes the last letter of the word when you delete the space before it for some reason.
I couldn’t be bothered to change such tiny errors in the post. (Starting a sentence with and is acceptable BTW)

I didn’t hit a nerve with the grease monkey comment did I? [;)] You know I wasn’t referring to anyone as experienced as you [:)]
I just get cross at garages employing spotty kids and letting them loose on cars, claiming they are mechanics.

Hence the deleted post.

Only if you tick the send e mail box[;)]  

Come on guys back on topic, the OP is wanting to know about his knock.

I go with Fergy on this one.

Can you locate where the knock is coming from, i.e. front offside?

It sounds like it’s on the front drivers side at the bottom of the car directly under the dash. its hard to tell, defintaly the front of the cra though.

i jacked the car up today and checked for any play in the wheels, they seem fine.

god knows, thanks for the responces though. maybe i’ll get ‘paul sheards’ to check it out next time its in for a service.

Have you checked the bonnet hinges? Hold the trailing corner of the bonnet and wiggle it up & down checking for movement in the hinge pivot.

I’m with suspension mount/bush, could be a shock absorber mount too. get a lever under all the pivot points and waggle [:|]

i’ll have a check tomorrow now - thanks again for all the help

We developed an annoying knocking sound on Saturday, bad enough to mek me pull over and stop.

The problem was the rubber strip mounted across the back of the engine bay, it had come loose on one side and I guess the airflow was making it sound like a ton of nuts and bolts.

Clipped it back on and its gone!

Grasping at straws here but, this has happened to me. Check that there is nothing loose on top of the engine under-tray, something may have been dropped down thru’ the engine and landed on the tray. 

THERE IS A BIT OF PLAY IN MY BRAKE PEDAL, I DONT KNOW IF THATS NORMAL BUT MAYBE THAT COULD BE IT  -WILL INVESTIGATE FURTHER

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE AND HELP - VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!