Kumho PS71 or Michelin PS5

I’ve put 215s on my 2.0 ND - Goodyear eagle f1 asymetric 6. Very happy with them.

2 Likes

And another endorsement for Goodyear Eagles.

2 Likes

I have heard many people recommending this mod and was never sure of the advantages other than its a more common size and .'. possibly cheaper. Would this modification affect insurance premiums?

Doubtful I would think. I updated my insurance with other mods so couldn’t say on the specific change for tyres…

You need to notify them to cover yourself regardless of any premium impact.

1 Like

Also have a 2 litre ND. Went from Michelin PS4 to the Goodyear Asymmetric 6. Happy with the change, firmer sidewalls give move direct driving feel. Combined with Meister R suspension.

Watch the Tyre Reviews guy on YouTube for comparison of Michelin PS5 and Asymmetric 6 - Michelin’s are great but lack feel.

1 Like

Same here both tyres and slightly wider tyres - makes a big difference!

I wonder how much difference the wider tyres make. Most people will be going from worn 205 to new 215s, how much is the new rubber, how much the wider tyre?

1 Like

Interested.
I need to replace my rears and considering Kumho with increasing from 205 to 215. Is it wrong to have 205 on front and 215 on rear until I can afford for all to be 215’s

Same size for all 4

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with having larger tyres on the back. Quite a few sports cars (eg Merc SLK) have that.

Interesting observation about the tyres being XL marked. I’ve noticed that both the Kumho PS71’s and Michelin PS5’s only come in XL specification. However, just spotted now while browsing ASDA tyres that the Goodyear Asymmetric 6’s come in both XL and non XL.

I assume the non XL version would be better for our light cars?

I went for the 87y variety, no point having xl on a small light car with only 2 seats and a small load area not doing stratospheric speeds… I find the road manners nice considering the lowered coilovers, wider wheels and anti roll bars.

2 Likes

The OEM load rating for the 205/45/17 size was 84, with a W speed rating.

So yes, the 87 variety should be more applicable :+1:

1 Like

Agree but they were designed that way but the MX5 was not.
:hearts:

1 Like

Most rwd cars with wider rear tyres still try and keep the rolling radius close between he back and front by lowering the profile of the wider tyre. If you’re worried about speedo and gearing then the radius is all needs concern anyone. With a wider or bigger wheel lowering the profile appropriately will bring it back into spec. I personally don’t fret too much about it, close enough is close enough.

Yes they do.
But, on the SLK the aspect ratio is different from the front to the rear.
As an example of 205/55x16 front and 225/50x16 rear,
(112).
So in a nutshell the “Ride” height and rolling circumference are the same and therefore it balances the car as “Designed” to do.
As already stated the MX5 is not.

People can do as they wish, but not a good idea to suggest that to others asking for good advice.
Save up and buy 4 new ones is the best advice for anyone. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The query from Richie stated that he needs to replace his 2 rears, so it’s not really helpful to suggest that he save up to buy all 4.

I am certainly inclined to keep quiet rather than offer useless advice, but having owned both MX-5’s and SLK’s I still see no reason why he can’t put 215’s on the rear, and do the same in the front when required.

A 215/45/17 tyre has a rolling circumference 1.4% greater than a 205/45/17. According to Oponeo’s website they recommend you stay within the range -2% to +1.5%, so this works.

1 Like

I’m replacing all 4 of mine in one go over the next few months and without hesitation, I’m going for the OEM Bridgestone Potenza s001 again. I know they seem to receive a lot of flack, but I find them fine. I don’t drive my ND in the wet if possible, and I’ve been more than happy with them over the ~ 15.5K miles I’ve had them. Hence, if I’ve been more than happy with them, I’m not going to buy something as an experiment which I may or may not like. I also like that they are pretty much the only ones avaliable in 205/45/17 84W, and not XL or having to change tyre size.

Regarding the PS5s the OP mentioned. Kind of totally unrelated but I’ve got them on a 215hp front wheel drive car, with which I’d had PS4 on for the prior 3 tyre changes. I’ve had them (PS5) on the car for about 2K miles now and I find them better than PS4 in some aspects, worse in others. I find the brake pedal had a slightly firmer feel and the steering a touch better. I’m used to those now as the tyres have been on the car for a bit, but they were noticeable when first put on. However, I’d say the grip with the PS4 was better than the PS5. I’ve had some torque steer (FWD) in some conditions/situations with the PS5, where I didn’t with the PS4. Plus I’d say the wet braking was better in the PS4. However, they claim the longevity is better with the PS5. So all-in-all I’d prefer the PS5, but imo it’s not clear cut and depends what aspects you’re looking for in a tyre.

1 Like

Kumho’s here on a 2009 NC. Not a big expert on tyres, but definitely better than the 5yr old tyres they replaced…

Good grip as well

1 Like