Lack of MOT

Back in the day before the records were computerised, people simply forgot to MOT their cars and from memory no points on licence and a small fine - £15 comes to mind.

Nowadays there is no excuse with computerised records, relatively recently introduced and an excellent free reminder service. Get yourself setup on this if you haven’t already.

Driving without MOT, insurance or tax is rather silly now as a simple number plate check, ANPR or otherwise shows all this detail…or lack of it. Even the general public can do a simple enquiry online and dob someone in for no tax or MOT. This is really what makes driving with no MOT rather silly. An MOT is no guarantee of car roadworthiness although it is a good indicator. No MOT does not mean a car that is dangerous and unroadworthy.

I think that in practice an insurance company would only invalidate a genuine claim if the vehicle were proven to be unroadworthy. MOT or not. Certain third party events have to be covered by the industry even where there is no insurance policy in place. 

Driving without insurance, tax or MOT is just plain stupid!

I’m not sure people are being over dramatic about this subject. Sure it’s true that you could be driving an unroadworthy car and not know about it but anyone who deliberately drives knowing there’s no MOT is on a slippery slope in my opinion.

If you are prepared to do this then it may follow that you will drive on bald tyres, faulty brakes and don’t bother to get it serviced.

With reference to your motorcycles I bet they are in tip top condition as you are clearly an enthusiast and don’t need the MOT prompt to keep them maintained properly.

She sounds like a stubborn lady, someone should talk to her sternly and insists she make an MOT appointment before the law has a word with her. Oh and refrain from driving the vehicle until it has passed, apart from getting there of course.

The car has now been taken to get an MOT done on it, and from what I can gather it failed due to the Rubber covers on the Constant Velocity Joints having come off and are flying about loose. I think that she is waiting for the son to repair it. Can’t understand why she doesn’t get a garage to fix it for her but, she has now been made aware of the situation again and has not bothered to reply to a text. Probably taken the huff.