LED Sidelights & canbus errors

Morning all :wave:

I’m wanting to buy a set of uprated sidelight bulbs like the ones in the link below, but I’m also aware that more modern cars can throw up erroes.

My MK3 obviously does have such a warning system, but has anyone does this already and can confirm that they’ll work without issue?

Cheers!

I have Osram led front sidelight bulbs and they work fine with no issues .

1 Like

I have a problem with overheating rear lamps slowly destroying the plastic of the fitment and blows bulbs frequently as the metal corrodes and creates resistance and more heat in a three point star logo car.

Fitting LED bulbs has solved the issue of overheating and the lamp failure detection does not ‘see’ the lower current of the LED as a failure. I believe there is a resistor fitted to act as a shunt to defeat the detector.

The lighting system on the NC is not on CAN.

1 Like

Yeah say to say the Canbus problem won’t affect the MK3, but I’ve never fitted LEDs before so I was unsure if any other issues may arise… I.e heat (pretty sure LEDs run cooler than incandescent bulbs), voltage etc

Just don’t buy the cheapest unbranded led bulbs on eBay as I have found them all to fail quite quickly go with quality branded Items

Yeah definitely, I won’t go anywhere cheap alternatives I’ve bought those before and they just don’t work.

I’ve bought the philips ones from ebay as per the link above…

Should be here next week so I’ll report back then :ok_hand:

From Jass Performance. No issues as yet.