Lockdown - another MOT extension?

Having lost several members of my family to Covid over the last 12 months I’m particularly conscious of the risks of this disease.

During the first lockdown the requirement to get your car MOTd was suspended for six months but sadly not this time. I consider this an unnecessary risk and with this in mind I’ve started a Government petition asking for a similar extension. It went live a couple of hours ago.

Could I ask forum members to take a minute to read my petition and should you agree with it, sign and if possible share it. If you’re not in agreement that’s fine - thanks for looking.

Here’s the link…

Grant MOT extension during lockdown

Many thanks everyone.

Evening, hope this finds you safe and well!

I can’t see them doing this again, the strain it has put on the industry is unreal! the company I manage only do Mots and we would usually see a peak between April and august and do maybe 80-90 cars a day, however now we don’t know where the peak is and we are still doing at worst 150 cars a day, its crazy!

the best thing I can advise is to try and find an mot centre that will come out and collect the vehicle , we offer this service and we only charge £5-£10.

4 Likes

Hi hope you manage to keep safe & well.

We are an MOT station and are seeing an increase in failure rate due to tyres etc that owners are not checking. For this reason I think it is very unlikely any further extension will be seen.

3 Likes

Hi,
I expect that there is no extension to the MOT, as garage workshops and MOT testing is continuing through the lock down period. As you have a safety concern, you should ask your MOT tester what Covid precautions they are taking.

2 Likes

I understand where you are coming from but there is the contra argument regarding the risk of death from unroadworthy vehicles which I think may swing the argument towards not extending the test again. Unfortunately not everyone is as fastidious as they should be.
The motor trade has introduced many changes to accommodate the current circumstance and can honestly say I have felt very safe during 2 car services and 1 MOT.
If you are in need of a service or an MOT and feel ‘threatened’ then please call the garage and explain your concerns. A good garage will help you.
Stay safe and keep your head high.
:heart:

1 Like

I doin’t think this is a good idea now. All these garages are taking the necessary percautions to keep things safe. I would much rather see safe cars on the road.

4 Likes

I have every sympathy for you and am very sorry to hear how COVID has affected your family, but agree with the sentiments above, the priority has to be safety on the roads. Going off at a tangent, I also think classic cars should not be exempt from having an MOT.

6 Likes

Agreed classic cars should have an MOT. It’s a certificate of road worthiness and without one… some people will drive anything!
The original Covid MOT extension was misunderstood anyway, it came with many caveats. It also caused the spike in testing required post exemption as described. My mate is an MOT inspector and he says the volume of cars waiting for a test now is uncontrollable. And the number and severity of failures he is seeing far exceed the norm.
I won’t be signing in afraid.

4 Likes

I wonder how this lockdown is impacting on particulate filters.
They need to get hot for a sustained period in order to not get clogged, so with only brief journeys allowed, I can’t help wondering what impact this is going to have on the millions of particulate filters out there…

Wouldn’t worry about them getting clogged up, I’d worry about them getting stolen it’s a major problem at the moment around West Yorkshire maybe nationwide