Looking for feedback to fit new soft top

1. My model of MX-5 is:Na Mk1
  2. I’m based near: London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:fitting new Soft top

Guys,
I need to purchase a new soft top. From the main fitters in Luton, London and Brighton, Eastbourne, which fitters would you recommend and how would you rate the soft tops that they fit (in terms of quality, look and feel)? ldeally, looking for a vinyl soft top with a zip out section.

Hi, I did a fair bit of research about this recently (I have since decided to wait a while as my hood isn’t too bad and came up like new with Autoglim rubber and plastic care), the overwhelming concensus is that BAS hoods are the best on the market, I was looking for a good outlet to fit it and again Freelance Mazda in Kent got the thumbs up from people on here and are about the same cost wise as MX5 Parts. Others I am sure will have other views. Good luck, Dave

Thanks.

I’ve inquired about the costs for a BAS hood, which isn’t too bad. £313.08 (black PVC) all in. Fitting, I’ll go with Freelance Mazda (£150.00).

Glad to have been of assistance,so your saying £463 all in sounds about right, good luck with it and it would be appreciated if you could let me know how you get on. Take care Just a thought it may be worth asking them about the rain rail incase you need a new one!

The rail rail maybe an issue. There’s water ingress into the boot, which maybe the rain rail. I’ll ask the lads to clear the drain holes, but if that’the case, add another £100.00 for second hand one.

The drain holes are a doodle to do and need doing regularly I would strongly suggest doing it yourself as I say they need to be checked / cleared regularly, mx5 parts sell a flexi brush for circa £8 money well spent and a couple of minutes or less to do it! If they are even if lightly blocked they can cause water in the car, are you replacing the hood for water ingress? it could be just blocked water holes, in my opinion definitely worth checking out before handing over lots of folding stuff imho, also there are a couple of slots under the sills that need to be kept clear to let water out of the sills and we all know how prone to rotten sills MX5’s are !!

Those I do every two weeks although when there’s heavy rain the car boot can/does get wet.

You’ve got problems with a leaking rainrail. Remove the deck carpet and check for leaks. Carefully nip up the 10mm studs by hand. Miata.net has a tightening sequence

Probably your roof has been replaced at some stage; the original hoods were done after 10 years. The rain rail was riveted to the hood. Its common for the rivets to be drilled out and the rainrail to be reused after the rivet holes are sealed up. They might not be sealed. Also, the rainrail is made of a fragile plastic, similar to a yoghurt pot, with lots of cracks. With a car approaching 30 years old, I would just fit a new rainrail. I brought a Robbins rainrail from Moss; it was superb quality, similar to the Mk2 version, which is more rubbery.

Early on, Mk1s also had problems with the rear light seals dryin out.

1 Like

Thanks all.
So, I’ve purchased a new BAS hood. Looking at the quality of PVC vinyl in the box, I’m impressed already. Purchased a Robbins rainrail from Moss, £120.00 (inc delivery). I’ll have Freelance Mazda to fit it. Hopefully there shall be a great weather for a drive to Cornwall and Scotland.
Thanks for the help and suggestions. Will post a picture of the finished article once done.

1 Like

Look forward to seeing the pics when it’s done as I will go down the exact same route in a couple of years :+1:.
Regards Dave.

Afternoon,

So BAS roof fitted by Freelance Mazda. Two new tensioners needed. Looks good. I’ve been advised to leave it up, not dropped for 30 days for the fabric to stretch. Shall post up pics asap. Looks good. One question: if the car is outdoors and theirs a deep frost or snow on the hood, does anyone lower their roof for a winter drive?

On a cold day, drive around a bit to warm the vinyl, before dropping it.

Thanks Saz9961.
Thanks for the tip. Can’t wait to be able to drop the hood again this year.

I have heard that folding the plastic rear screen is not good below 10 degrees, always unzip it when the weather is cold. In warmer weather I always lay long piece of pipe insulation across the screen when I fold the roof back to stop creases. Always make sure the edge of the roof is folded neatly, which will help prevent cracking above the side windows and keep it clean and well treated with vinyl roof treatment.

That’s why I’ve always preferred a zip out option. My first plastic window cracked when I folded down the roof…too brittle.
Actually at times driving with the roof up but zip down is refreshing.

The issue about windows really only affects the factory window,which I suspect is pretty much extinct now. Aftermarket windows are of a different material, and remain more pliant, at the cost of more scratches. Mazda sourced the original plastic from a Swiss source, now unobtanium.

Glad it turned out good :+1: