Loss of power almost to stall when clutch down and lights are on

Our 92 NA is losing power and nearly stalling when the clutch is dropped but only when the lights are on, anyone experienced this before?

Just a thought.

There is a switch on the clutch pedal that can cause issue when not working.  

Only other suggestion is bad earth. 

Will take a look at the switch sounds like somewhere to start, thanks

The clutch has a switch, just below it’s fulcrum/hinge point, that’s activated as you depress it, I had issues with the grommet attached to the clutch pedal, it depresses the switch as you activate the clutch, it broke and fell off, the clutch would give off a loud click as it was depressed, the switch goes through a hole formerly occupied by the grommet, and the revs would drop alarmingly, I was advised by one of our more learned brethren on this site that the switch sends a signal to the ECU, could be worth checking out?? You will probably be best be advised by Drumtochty or Rhino666!! Apologies Rhino & Drum!! And apologies to those reading this and bemoaning the excessive use of the , !!

Cheers!

Russ

I wrote this about 11 years ago

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=231

Thanks for all the replies we will be looking at the switch at the weekend then

I have same problem. Did you solve it?

We replaced all the spark plugs which looked a bit worse for wear and that has made a difference, but the issue is there intermittently still. Seems to be related to electrical power as turning on the heater can also affect it.

Hi Grumpy, sounds like a thorough check of all your earthing points is required as well!

Cheers,

Russ