Lotus wheels on an NA?

Hi Guys and gals,

Does anybody know if these wheels will fit an MX5 NA with spigot rings?

17x7.5 might be pushing it and I believe you’d have to roll the arches to get 225s in. Also 17s look really odd on an NA.

The 16x5.5 would likely work fine, but isn’t that narrower than standard with a bigger diameter? 175 sounds pretty skinny… That would pose a question about the wisdom of such a change. Certainly, they’re pretty wheels though so, if you can get them, go for it. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

They’ll fit, but inadvisable with the staggered fit. So really only fit the 16s. NAs don’t really wear big wheels that well.

17s on a NB

But apparently the wheels are only rated to 255kg per corner, not strong enough.

1 Like

8kg is pretty heavy (17.6lb) the 16" mk2 five spokes are 15.5lb, and the 16" mk4 wheels that also fit are 14.7lb. So definitely a style rather than form decision

1 Like

Yeah the romantic notion of these wheels on the car has drfinerelt been outweighed by the facts on this occasion.

It’s got me asking though, what kind of wheels should I be looking for to be getting the absolute most, performance wise, out of the car?

Thanks gentleman.

Original daisies do it for me…

1 Like

Like the choice between good, fast, and cheap; (or study, party, or sleep when at Uni), in which you can only choose two, you have the same choice with wheels:

Pretty, light, or cheap.

Which two you choose is entirely up to you, but you may only choose two! :sweat_smile:

It’s worth considering that light is a particularly good idea on these cars, though. They react well to having less unsprung weight to haul around.

1 Like

They could fit, but it would be a total nonsense to fit them.

The reason the smaller skinny wheels were fitted to the Lotus at the front was to make it understeer. Therefore safer for inept drivers. There was an option of wider front tyres. When it was launched Clarkson moaned on Top Gear it oversteered.