Lurker and prospective ND owner

Welcome to the mx5 world. I had a 1.5 Sport nav ND1 and thoroughly enjoyed every minute in it. I would not have got the 2.0 ND1 because the engine was never developed for the MX5 and was taken from the Mazda passenger car because the Americans complained about not having the bigger engine. It’s character did not really suit the MX5. By the time they introduced the ND2 they had developed a 2.0 engine specifically to suit the MX5 with a higher red line. I now have a 30AE which has the 2.0 and can confirm it suits the car perfectly and gives more overtaking power. So if you are buying an ND1 then go for the 1.5 but if you can stretch to an ND2 then both are good. Also avoid the RF as it is a targa top not a convertible.

Hi I have a ND2 RF 2 litre on a 19 plate sport nav plus

Nice car , no issues with gearbox or mechanical bits as such BUT
Have had issues with the windows. It appears the shoddy cable Mazda use rusts and snaps and it is very common. Dealer says happens all the time with the mx5. Mazda do not admit a design fault but both times ( each window went!) dealt with by dealer as a goodwill gesture etc. part is peanuts labour not so ! They seem to replace part with a redesigned one so fingers crossed it will not happen again

Good luck with the car hunt and enjoy it , they are fun

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.