Main Dealers, servicing and repairs good bad or ok?

I did take the dealer to task as there was no evidence of any residual brake fluid in any of the six bleed nipples. The service manager was insistent that it had been done but refused my request to ask the technician directly if he had done it.
The truth only came out the following year when I had such a bad experience that I involved Mazda directly.
:heart:

1 Like

I tbought only Jaguars had six nipples.

Female jaguars have four mammary glands, which are located on their underside 1.

Are you sure? I found this ont tintertwit but you know how unreliable it can be.

MX5s have 5.

But many main dealers can only find four of them!

Ours has 7. And I know where they all are!!

Common practice , some squirt wd round bleed nipples in case you look

I have used several “main dealers” over the years for servicing.
With some notable exceptions they have been satisfactory and some have even been good.

Some main dealers are more used to dealing with cars that are 3 or less years old, probably because most people go to them when they’re tied by warranty-
I do recall buying a used (out of warranty) Passat hatchback ( not an estate) with 20k miles from a VW dealer, in 1990, and habitually took it back for servicing……. on the last occasion it was returned to me with the timing so far out that it’s performance was seriously compromised.
Took it to a Bosch approved local mechanic and he transformed it ….as a result I remained a customer there until he retired in 2020 ……with various cars, mainly VW and Mercedes.

He maintained another Passat saloon for me…. a 1997 110 bhp TDi which I acquired in 1998 with 10k miles, and finally had to give up in 2021 with 320k miles! Fantastic engine, properly maintained. It was my ‘work’ car for about 20 years), I had a 63 mile (return) commute and it was a cheap way to do it.

It’s a matter of trust. I got to know and trust him, he put up with me, and so he got my business.

If you find a main dealer you can trust, that’s fine. Likewise for the independents.

Currently I have a ‘fleet’ of 3 including my NC, plus my daughter’s and my son’s vehicles which I try to look after. So 5 cars in total and we use another independent- who has proved trustworthy over more recent years.
He got the Mx5 first…… then gradually acquired the others.

My daughter summed it up quite well:
“These guys are proper mechanics, not merely ‘parts-fitters’……….”
As I said, I’m sure there are main-dealers like this too, but sadly it’s not universal.

Ah, they must have smaller litters than domestic moggies.

Just had our ND back from a service. I couldn’t be bothered to do it myself and since the car had always been serviced by a main dealer (we bought it from Mazda in Exeter but live in Southampton), I checked around for prices. Halfords wanted £265 but when I spoke to Magna Mazda Southampton, they said we could have a full “fixed” service for £427.20 but a “level 2” for £184.95 or a “level 3” for £299.00. They checked the online service record and said it only needed a level 2 so we took it in.

Service was fantastic with a discounted MOT (£45) added. The car came back cleaned inside and out and it appears they might have even waxed it (maybe they’ve just employed a new detailer and they used the car as practise?).

Very happy with the service, it keeps the book bang up to date with “full Mazda service history” for eventual resale and they could not have been nicer to deal with.

I will however be doing the diff & gearbox myself as a precautionary add on having read posts here after we got the car back.

over the years of being involved with the motor trade one way or another
this is my findings altho there are a few main dealer service departments that have some good technicians
most have just fitters ,any tech that is good probably has left getting fed up with big group politics and started up on their own, if you can find a good independant then stick with them most of the good ones don’t advertise most of their work comes from word of mouth , a friend of mine is booked up all year all from returning customers and friends and family of those customers never put one advert anywhere.
also found out and worked along side some who raced and tho not all are like this most are great at knowing the make of car or bike they are racing but beware lots of them in the season will put their race car first
so off season ok race season not so .thats not to say they are all like that their is a couple on here that don’t fit into that catagory judging by the help they give members on here
people who work for themselves have a lot more to loose than someone who when they clock off don’t have to care to much!
also it takes ages to get a good reputation and no time at all to get a bad one
so rule of thumb recommendations are key, bad workshops with great marketing not so good

1 Like

My ND2 is now 3.5 years old and the first 3 were done by a dealer.(not mine then) so after reading all over here, I am going to go with Japex Automotive in Kings Langley (I am in S Bedfordshire ) as I rather go with someone who knows the cars rather than the guys at a dealer.
Good idea?

1 Like

two techs who worked for a main dealers set up their own place sounds promising
anyone on here used them ?

So I had my 2020 ND 2.0 taxed yesterday morning and then dropped it down at Japex Automotive in Kings Langley by 8am as requested. In for an interim (4th) service and brake fluid change.
Now when I drop in my Ford in at the Hemel dealer at 8am for a service, the call to tell me it’s ready comes at 4-45/5 .
Japex rang me at 1125 to tell me all was done.

I had asked them to check the brake callipers sliders as I was getting a binding sound when I first set off. The fronts were sticking so Japex removed and re greased them.

All for under £250!
The Aylesbury Mazda dealer wanted over £470 which included a new cabin filter!
I mean- what? In a convertible?

Very pleased with Japex, they also have access to the Mazda online records so my service with them shows on the digital service history.

Would highly recommend.

Btw, drove home with the top down!
Love this car!

1 Like