- My model of MX-5 is: Mark 3.5 Sport Tech
- I’m based near: Birmingham
- I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Gearbox oil & Diff oil (LSD)
There is a clunk when engaging first gear when the engine is cold.
This is not a big deal. I understand this is very common on mark 3’s.
But I’d like to minimise this clunk.
I’ve had my car for almost a year and a service is now due. I will
have the gearbox oil and rear Diff (LSD) oil changed at this time.
I don’t know which of these can affect the clunk.
Please can I have recommendations.
I hear that Redline is pricy but good. Namely:
- Diff oil Redline75W90 GL-5
- Gear oil Redline MT 90 75W90 GL-4
But the thing is that the Redline Gear oil comes in 950ml packs
and the capacity of the gearbox (from dry) is 2100ml.
Would two bottles totalling 1900ml (minus what gets stuck on
the inside of the bottle) suffice? Or would I need three bottles?
Or are there other alternatives?
Also as per Mick’s suggestion below, I’m now also looking for
Clutch fluid recommendations too.