Mazda extended warranty (Elite package)

My Arctic is coming to the end of its 3 year warranty, what do other owners think about the above, it does include roadside assistance. ive had a quote which seems quite good,but would welcome comments and suggestions.

always a toss up this one for me, my Dad used to say insurance is never any use until you need it, the roadside assistance is always useful , is that European too? do you have a link to the warranty package and what they have quoted? cheers Mark

No link, the quotes are done individually based on mileage, and is pin protected, as mine has only done 3200 miles it dosnt appear to high. The Roadside is euro cover as well.

if you are happy with the quote then I would be tempted to take it out for peace of mind, I am sure others may have a different view

TNX, just wondered if anyone has experience of using the warranty, pro’s and con’s

I’ve never taken out an extended warranty due to the fact that having read the T&C’s there seemed to be just too many holes for the manufacturer to wriggle out of in the event of a claim. Just my opinion.

My 2017 RF finishes the warranty in May, have done 13K miles, am running a V1 early gearbox , looking at some form of extended cover past the 3 year point but will they cover the g/b if it grenades during the extended period, Mazda wont say ?. a quandry especially as plan to tour Europe later this year. Paul H.

I took out the Mazda extended warranty last year as the price was very reasonable (well compared to the BMW X5 costs).

I also took out the top level, including assistance, but there are several important exclusions around seals, hinges, drop links etc, all of which have subsequently needed work. The dealer also stated it wouldn’t cover a potentially faulty key fob (which luckily turned out to be a simple fix rather than expensive replacement).

But for peace of mind when something happens that is covered, I still think it’s worthwhile. My wife had a 3 several years ago and the Bose head unit was covered - it would have been £600 even then.

Just had a quotation as mine is nearly 3 years old. I wouldn’t buy the Elite, which is their default quote.

There is very little difference, about £19, between the top level cover (“Complete”) and the middle level (“Elite”) - £290 v £271 annually. There is even less difference between Elite and Essential, the lowest level - £271 v. £259.

Complete covers pretty much everything. Elite does not cover injectors, ABS, suspension, manifold, cat or entertainment system. Essential additionally does not cover clutch, steering, brakes, fuel system, cooling system or electrical. I read all of them as covering the gearbox.

So the only one worth considering to me is the Complete at only ÂŁ31 more than the most basic version.

The roadside assistance etc. is ÂŁ30 on top of the above prices, and it does cover European.

Your quote may differ. My mileage is currently 17,000. I’m undecided. If Paul Roddison is still prepared to offer 3 years gearbox cover for £250 it sounds a reasonable option.

EDIT: The above rates are without any excess. The savings for ÂŁ75 or ÂŁ150 excess are trivial.

.sorry to re-bump this thread, but it saves starting annew one on the same subject?

1.5 ND will 3 years old shortly and we have been contacted by the dealer regarding extending the warranty. (Ironically we have recently had a “minor” problem with the digital display failing which is being fixed under warranty).

I like the idea of extending the warranty subject to “reasonable” cost.

Anybody any idea a to the cost they are likely to want?..and any other opinions welcome…

Many thanks…

the size of the premium gives you a clue about the manufacturers expections of future issues

After market warranties, such as Warranty Wise, provided better cover and value last time i checked but i decided to put the £s in the piggy bank. So far, after 7 years, i am substantially in pocket with no repairs…only replacing wear & tear items such as ARBs and discs

2 Likes

Ta for the reply, I can’t get a quote from the official Mazda website as the car is still under the standard 3 year warranty…

I think that you will find that it is not a Mazda Warranty but an “Insurance Policy” offered and managed by a third party. Taken over the overall customer base, the insurance company will be wanting to make good profits, so on average each customer spends much more on premiums than the average claim value, otherwise the insurance companies would not get into that market.

I have found that every time I have looked at the small print for these policies (car, boiler, white goods etc, warranties) you will find get out clauses for nearly everything. The usual get out is anything considered by the insurance company as wear and tear, which is nearly everything. They only in general insure against original manufacturing defects which are very rare and hard to prove. If they know of an inherent manufacturing defect they will not insure against it failing (such as a weak gearbox).

If you just saved the money you would end up paying out in premiums over a period, it will be more than likely you would end up saving quite a bit of money, even if you have to pay for the occasional repair. The MX5 is a reliable car and very unlikely to cost you a fortune.

1 Like

Hmm.
One of our CX5’s, (also considered to be a reliable car) had over £3k’s worth of work at just over 3 years old. 2 adaptive LED headlamp assemblies, a road wheel, and a body control module (separate problems) we were lucky, in as much as we usually change cars before the warranty runs out, and more by luck than judgement did extend it with Mazda. Absolutely no issues with claiming for all of the problems. That was a Friday afternoon car I think.
It was sold to us (about £300, including breakdown) as an extension of the makers warranty, irrespective of who actually underwrites it. In fact we were treated the same as if it was a maker’s warranty with a courtesy car etc. It may come down to the relationship with the dealer of course, and we have bought a few cars from them - (this was CX5 No3 iirc, we’re now on No 5)
I wouldn’t run a new/modern car without a warranty, as although modern cars are in general very reliable (with a few exceptions, JLR in particular) it doesn’t take much to run up a massive bill when they do go wrong, and the typical annual cost would only buy a few hours of diagnostic time, before any parts are involved.
On my low mileage ND I will extend the warranty for years 4 & 5, but take the risk after that.
I think it all depends on how risk averse you are.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for the heads up, I am inclined to agree with you, I will see what the price is…