MGB-GT memories

Bit unfair.   As I recall , virtually all of that was driven by American legislations … safety…, emissions etc which were really coming through

in the '70’s.   If you have a look at some American cars of the time you’ll see what I mean. Round about 1980/81, I owned a 1974 

Plymouth Satellite.   One day, I ran into the back of a Hillman Hunter. I more or less demolished the back end of the Hillman.

Damage to the Plymouth ? Nothing, other than a chrome strip on the bonnet that had pinged from its clips.

The bumper on the Plymouth seemed to be, basically, a metal girder, with shock absorbers behind it.

Where have all the Datsuns gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Rust has picked them every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

( apologies to Pete Seeger )

And in most markets where the MGF competed head to head with the MX5, it did quite well. European sales of the MGF were about 9-11,000 per year, upto about 2001, and that level of sales continued with the MGTF… European sales of the MX5 were on par with the MG until about 1999, then overtook the MG, peaking at 21,000, before falling back to under 11,000, as the NB was phased out. Of course, MG failed to take the car into North America,  where I am certain it would have been a hit.

The MR2 was introduced years after the MGB was phased out, so it can’t have “killed off” the MGB. In the period where MR2, and MX5 values fell at some points to a few hyndred quid, MGB values have steadily risen; demand is sustained for these cars.

In the US, MGB sales were around 25,000 to 30,000 (1980 was not a full MY) out of 40-45,000 per year.

First year of sales in the US (1989) saw 25,000 Miatas sold, and in Europe (1990) about 10,000 MX5s, rising to 14,000 in 1991. Sales in Europe crashed during 1992-1995, to as low as 5000 in 1994. This is largely due to a 50% drop in demand in Germany and the UK. In the US, there was more of a gradual fall in sales once the new car buzz had worn off.

Granted, there were legislative changes , but that didn’t mean doing such a cheap and nasty lash up as this .And nobody legislated for deckchair seats …Porsche, Lotus and VW somehow managed to produce attractive cars in that period. You’re right about US cars of the era - comical to think that a 74 Camaro’s 5.7 litres punched the same as a current MX5 …

US Spec Golf was hideous

Federalized SL

Porsche

Lambo

BMW

Renault

Rover SD1

Alfa Romeo

Datsun

Ferrari

Masarati

Yikes

For reference, the Euro spec Khamsin

Jaguar

Ford

Even today, Ford struggles

Lotus

Volvo

Aston Martin

So you you are sticking to the line that MG engineers did an appreciably worse job that others. Two thirds of MGs were sold in the US. So MG should have taken an 11 year old design, invested a lot of tax payer money (they were state owned), to basically satisfy American buyers (even though sales were not affected one bit by the Federalised styling).

The issue about why MG extended those safety changes to other markets veers into a moral issue. The regulations were brought in to improve the safety of pedestrians and children. MG decided not to continue to produce less safe cars for other markets; these cars would have been cheaper to make and more profitable. But they didn’t. Other car makers were quite happy to impose on non-American consumers less safe cars because they could get away with it. Two notable exceptions were of course Saab and Volvo. By comparison, other car makers of the period seemed to act immorally, sacrificing safety for profitability. The majority of car makers struggled to incorporate US regulations into mid-cycle, or even in newer models (Porsche 924). The 911 worked on account of it not having an engine in the front. The rear is a bit heavy handed, but no one talks about that.

The Khamsin is probably the worst example, given that the relocated light clusters resulted in 12 inch holes.

So here’s my daily driver 1967 MGB GT  (as well as my second Mk1 MX-5), both used as my company cars (www.ewemove.com/northleeds). 

Fabulous, the both of them!

Never actually bought one but in 1980, I bought my first brand new car. It was a mini “special” available in silver/black vinyl roof orRose metallic/tan vinyl roof (I got the red) Alongside it in the showroom was a BRG 1500 midget, end of production run for the midget. Similar price to the mini and I often think back and wish I’d bought the midget instead. The mini, which I owned for all of eight weeks, was a terrible car. Off the road more than on, in those eight weeks. Eventually bought back by the dealer as it was so bad! Was glad to see the back of it for sure!

Barrie

I stick to the point that the MGB was a tragic shadow of its former self before, mercifully, it was killed off.At the end it was ugly , gutless and old fashioned - who would buy a creaky MG when you could get a Golf GTi or an RS 2000? . I can’t speak for the quality of BL engineers, but I had enough experience of their ghastly products in the early and mid 70s to report that the build quality was utterly abysmal . My last straw was , after consuming 5 gearboxes in its first year (eventually resolved by my GP dad writing to Lord Stokes to tell him car was vital for his job ), my dad’s Dolomite tried to kill me by collapsing its front n/s suspension on an A1 viaduct at brisk speed .

Thanks for the pictures- I loved the Countach’s crash protection especially .

Aaaarrgghhh 1968 Triumph 2000.  That was the first car I lost significant money on, lots of it in repairs, and thought myself lucky to be able to sell it on in 1970 for top book as an “immaculate” two year old car with about 15,000 troublesome miles after only three months (only one year Triumph warranty in those days and cowboy dealers).

Gearbox and intermittent overdrive could not take six cylinder torque, warped long head mostly because the two Stromberg carbs would not stay in balance, fuel-pumps, doors never shut properly, windows didn’t close properly, useless heater leaked, seats collapsed, wipers mostly didn’t, brakes sometimes did but often not, suspension broke springs, tracking, steering, in short a total pile of unmentionable, fortunately it didn’t have time to rust so looked OK.

A further word in defence of MG Midgets. I had a Mk2 Sprite (1098cc and perspex sidescreens) which I should have kept but was tempted by a 1500cc Morgan 4/4 Competition model. Very accelerative but I found the highly-tuned motor unsuitable for the type of driving I was doing at the time and it ceased to be practical. So I chopped it for a low mileage 1969 Mk111 Midget with the 1275cc engine and chrome bumpers. That is probably the most rewarding car I’ve owned (until now of course!) I did several thousand miles in it, some towing a trailer tent around Wales, the Lake District and East Anglia. The one time it let me down was when it stuck in first gear - easily resolved by a local MG dealer (remember them!)

Sadly it was nicked while I was in the cinema and “recovered” by the police minus drive train, seats and wheels. It was perched on 14" steel wheels and the supposition was all my running gear ended up in a souped up Morris Minor. Stupidly I didn’t buy it back from the insurance company but instead spent the paltry pay-out on a Mk111 Triumph Spitfire which I can safely say was the worst car I have ever owned, never running properly and rusting away as I watched…

I saw my Midget in Chelmsford, Essex, some 30 years late, in amazing condition and being used as a daily driver. Tempted to make an offer on the spot but was happy with my Opel Manta 1.8 turbo coupe at the time.

My first car was a 1972 midget, followed by a GT6, then a 1500 Spitfire, then later on in life a 1500 Midget. I loved the GT6 (mini E-type?) but some 20+ years later a work colleague turned up in one and “gave me a go”…absolutely awful! …amazing how cars have improved, now on our third MX5 (ND), and love it …would not want to go back…