Missing Part?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NA__
  2. I’m based near: Crawley__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Dashboard__

At the bottom of the dashboard on the offside of the car is a welded bracket to the frame of the car with a flat headed bolt inserted through it. but with nothing attached. I have a suspicion that there should be something attached to that bolt which links somewhere to the plastic dash, (not the metal frame to which it is attached) and holds it stable. I say this because the dash on the nearside is firmly fixed but the offside is less than tight. All fixings from the dah to the metal frame are fine. I have had the car for nine years and it has only covered 18,000 miles from new and is very original. I only noticed this as I was on the hunt for rattles and the fact that the dash is so “floppy” made me think whether at some stage it had been taken off and the fixing omitted on re-assembly as the car came to me with a non standard alarm fitted. Is there anyone close to Crawley with an NA who could let me have a look at their car for a clue? I will travel of course. Alternatively, does any
one have an idea what this naked bolt might be for? Thank you.

1 Like

A photo may help here.

If its the one i think you mean ?,Its not used for anything from the factory when built , although it can be used as an earth point for any aftermarket bits being installed with a 10mm nut added, we use it a lot for the purpose, as many others that i know do.
So when you pull the bonnet release is the dash moving?
In this area? a threaded stud…
5aLAmvRK1rHApEO6ceUzHDNdj59GYBnkCcW7WGGU
M-m

Sorry, I am unable to provide a photo as to be honest, I do not know how to do it. However, I think I have received the help I need from Mazda Mender. Thank you for yours.

Yes, exactly the place, threaded bolt as you suggest.

The dash does move more than I would expect when the bonnet catch is released.

Thank you for our help.

The dashboard plastic in that area is secured to the dashboard frame by self tapping screws going in from behind. The plastic goes brittle over time and cracks ad the screws loose their grip. If you have a look behind the dash whilst pulling it you’ll probably be able to see the offending broken screw mounting. You could try to resecure it with glue/longer screw/fatter screw. I put a replacement good used dash in mine, but that was 10 years ago so good used replacements may be thin on the ground now.

Edit… just seen that you said the all fixings from the dash to the metal frame are fine, so my post may not be relevant.

It is relevant bud…
As Rob as said ,the movement is from the broken plastic tab from the self tapping trim screw that goes through that metal plate to secure the dash solid in that corner, it will still be there.
two ways to fix it, pull out the dash enough to inject some tiger seal and push it back and let it go off over night.
Or use a spare trim screw and drill from the side into the plate and screw it down , never to to cause you the problem again.
M-m

With the aid of a very discreetly fitted small but strong ninety degree bracket I have been able to secure the dash. It is an external fitment onto the plastic but right in the bottom corner and camouflaged in black. A bit Heath Robinson you might suggest but I freely admit I am no engineer.

Your kind assistance is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Laurence

The note I sent to Roadster_Robbie, which I believe you will have seen was meant for you as well. I am new to this forum and am still trying to understand how it works but many thanks to you too for the time you spent on this on my behalf.

Regards,

Laurence