Mk1 1.8 air con condenser

Hi all, I’m new to mx5 ownership and brought a nice automatic 1995. 1.8 with no rust but the air con doesn’t work. I need a condenser. Anyone have one to sell or can point me in the right direction. I want the air con to work as half my driving is through London traffic. Thanks.

The condenser is the part which usually fails, due to corrosion, so chances of finding a good used one are slim. I know you can buy condensers (for equivalent Miatas) from US suppliers like Rockauto but I don’t know how the prices work out with shipping and import duty compared to UK based suppliers you might find just by Googling.

I was looking at getting one to re-purpose as a chargecooler radiator, just because it’s a good fit in the space available, but they cost a bit more than I imagined so I put that half-thought-out plan on hold.

I haven’t had much luck on google trying to track down a UK supplier. There’s an option to have something engineered but that’s pretty expensive. Thanks for the US link, I’ll check that out.

Not mega cheap but reasonable. Yes it’s from Germany but there’s not tax to pay while we are still in the EU

Well spotted, thanks. I’ll work out the tax and duty from the US and compare.

Update if case it helps anyone: I got a Denso condenser and dryer from the US (rock auto) with shipping for £138. Came in about 2 weeks with no import tax charged. Both parts had different pipe fittings and the dryer had different mounting brackets. Required quite a bit of fabrication to fit. Ice cold now though so all good.

1 Like