Mk1 1.8 'Berkeley' – My pride and joy

I never thought to post in here when I first joined, an oversight I plan on rectifying!

Ever since I was very little I was in love with the Mk1 MX5, inspired in part due to one of my aunts having one probably.

When I finally passed my test at the end of last year I knew immediately what I wanted to get! After a long search I stumbled upon a candidate which ticked all the boxes and went to see her - love at first sight.

!
On the test drive

I love the colour on the Berkeley edition, and there is a certain amount of pride in having a somewhat rarer model. My American friends have been suitably envious!

I plan on doing some tasteful changes, on the hunt for a Nardi wooden wheel as we speak, and the original suspension is a bit tired – but really want to keep her as stock as possible.

Learning how to maintain a car of this comparable vintage has been great fun and very educational - so far I’ve changed the transmission fluid, gear-stick rubber boots, rear light gaskets, front headlamp units and rear brake calipers and slider pins.

She really is my pride and joy, and I hope to be able to drive her for many years yet!

6 Likes

Welcome to the joys of MX5 ownership. Nice car - and a fantastic place to start your motoring - only downhill from here…

Looks in great condition too and a good decision to move the number plate - I am going to do the same as the standard frame looks a bit too big.

Enjoy your driving and I hope that your car stays in great condition.

1 Like

Thanks Snelly, numberplate move was one of the first things I did, wanted to capture that old English roadster feel and that big box just spoiled the lines of the nose.

Very nice!

Looks fantastic, and what a great choice of MX5 (then again, I would say that :o)

Welcome to the Sparkly Berkeley Bunch :+1:

3 Likes

What a lovely looking 5

Xenol,
That looks a real wee corker.
I hope I’m not “schooling the educated” but if you’ve not given a nut & bolt rigorous underbelly & cavity anti rot exercise, I would make it next given they all rot pretty much from the inside out!
Bar that. I’m having a Green Eyed Monster episode!

That’s a lovely looking car!