Mk1 1800 wanted

Hi all,

Just joined and on the look out for a reasonable/good MX5 in the Yorkshire area.  Any one selling?

morning, do you have a budget, colour preference, import etc, might help with locating a suitable candidate

Post in the Wanted section, although you will have much better luck with Ebay or Autotrader

Possibly £2k.  May be more for the right car.  Would prefer red 1800is, not import but again may consider.

Thanks

Hi Bagsy,

They’re all imports.

If you mean a Eunos - why so averse?  You’ll stand a much better chance of finding one that’s not riddled with rust in the rear sills and rear wheel arches.  And (unless you have a huge dislike for the Japanese style rear registration plate panel of the Eunos) - it’s identical to the MX5.  And even the insurance argument is history now. 

Just curious.

Steve

I am not sure as to what history you get with an import such as service/been in accidents etc. So if you know how to get this and be confident that it is accurate?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Agreed that a fully stamped service book or other ‘FSH’ is good for making you feel good about buying any car.  However, with an age range of 18 - 27 years, the majority of mk1s will have changed hands several times, and many will have lost their service history along the way.   You may be lucky and find a ‘cherished’ one or two-owner UK car with full history, but far better to learn up on the (well-documented) issues with the mk1, and look for a car that is sound in body and sill/wheel arch (or has been PROPERLY repaired) - and is in good fettle mechanically.  Again, the mechanical checks you can make aren’t rocket science.  It’s always a good idea to take an impartial other with you when looking at a car - preferably someone who knows MX5s.  Crash damage isn’t going to be ‘advertised’ on a car whether it’s UK or Eunos - it’s down to you to do the detective work.

The biggest killer of mk1s is rust rust rust - and as I said earlier, a recently imported Eunos will have avoided many of the salty winters of a same-age UK car.

Incidentally, some Eunos imports do come with full service history   - in Japanese obvs.

[quote=H1S VRB]

Agreed that a fully stamped service book or other ‘FSH’ is good for making you feel good about buying any car.  However, with an age range of 18 - 27 years, the majority of mk1s will have changed hands several times, and many will have lost their service history along the way.   You may be lucky and find a ‘cherished’ one or two-owner UK car with full history, but far better to learn up on the (well-documented) issues with the mk1, and look for a car that is sound in body and sill/wheel arch (or has been PROPERLY repaired) - and is in good fettle mechanically.  Again, the mechanical checks you can make aren’t rocket science.  It’s always a good idea to take an impartial other with you when looking at a car - preferably someone who knows MX5s.  Crash damage isn’t going to be ‘advertised’ on a car whether it’s UK or Eunos - it’s down to you to do the detective work.

The biggest killer of mk1s is rust rust rust - and as I said earlier, a recently imported Eunos will have avoided many of the salty winters of a same-age UK car.

Incidentally, some Eunos imports do come with full service history   - in Japanese obvs.

Thanks for the quick response and most of what you have said I am doing and trying to learn through books/forums etc.

Most Eunos Roadsters have been in the UK long enough to severely close the much vaunted gap of conditions, histories, and mileages.

I’d say buy on chassis & coachwork condition first, and up to a point disregard miles or even colour.

No1 enemy is both hidden & visible rot with Pollyfilla repairs…and travelling hundreds of miles to view “Condition 1” sheds advertised by fibbing scoundrels.

Oily bits and everything else are cheap as chips with the exception of odd items like Coil packs…especially 4 PIN.

Try and buy a known Forum/Club car.

£2k will buy you a half decent car which will no doubt require some welding/mechanical work, if you upped that amount you may find a nicer example requiring less work so maybe more cost effective.

If I was to sell mine (1997 mk1 1.8 uk car with upgrades) I would be looking upwards of £2.5k so have a decent look round and a cheap car may not necessarily represent the best bargain.

Thanks and yes I will look at more expensive cars requiring less you. What mod have you done and would recommend which are value for money? Jackson racing intake? Cobalt exhaust?

Thanks

Apologies I meant less work

Why limit yourself to a 1.8? Having one of each I definitely prefer the 1.6. Very little difference in performance. In fact I think the 1.6 a sweeter, more free revving engine.  Both are great though. The best cheap performance up grade by far is to get it properly lined up. Any body can go fast in a straight line, as they say.

In my ownership I have either changed,replaced or upgraded almost everything apart from the engine.

electric windows,power steering,leather seats,new brakes,wheels,tyres,air intake,k &n filter,cobalt exhaust,new sills etc etc hence why my selling price would be circa 2.5k.