MK1 Boot lid wont open

Anyone got any ideas how to get boot open without causing too much damage.?.

I take it that neither the external key lock or internal release if you have one are working. If the catch is a bit sticky try pressing down on the area above the catch while pulling the release lever or turning the key.

1 Like

God knows what happened to my reply to you roadie.
Anyway yeah both the internal catch and the external lock seem to be working but not opening,
Looks like my only solution is to remove exhaust shield and if there is no grommets underneath ill have to cut a hole in the boot floor open boot then weld up and seal the cut.

Hi!

Woah! Slow down, try this before anything else…

Sometimes mine would get sticky (shes track only now!) So required a turn of the key in the lock whilst pushing down on the boot above the latch, harmoniously.

Failing that, and you really do need to break in, you’ll want to go from inside the car iirc. Been a while, I’m in a NC now with spare keys :joy:

Good luck, please let us know how you get on! :crossed_fingers:

Yes, push down on the centre of the boot while turning the key. If that fails have a search around on Google.

If the lock isn’t pulling the rod correctly then a hole drilled behind the number plate should give the required access to pull the rod to operate the latch.

Another suggested method is a little more destructive but easy to repair. It involves a hammer and chisel to basically destroy one of the rear light clusters to give access to the large hole behind it. Then it should be possible to access the lever on the latch. Rear lamp clusters are ten a penny on eBay and elsewhere.

If all else fails attack the boot lid with a jigsaw and that will be easier to replace than welding up a hole in the boot floor.

1 Like

if a Roadster, remove rear plate, remove blanking grommet.

Yeah saz it is a roadster ill check that grommet first I do have a spare set of rear lights without the chrome trim on so I will give that a go if all else fails
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Ps. Jdm claire I’ve banged the boot lid down and that but the bugger still won’t have it lol.

The grommet allows access to the lock, with a wire.