MK1 manual door mirrors

It’s a half flush finish, one blob ruined my nice flush fit and in the end I made it look worse by adding more blobbiness as a precaution.

They are fairly durable though, judging by the way mine fell off and bounced under the car. The main issue is the crawling round under the car in the middle of the street trying to retrieve the mirror. The second one at least broke off in my hand when I was adjusting it.

Going from memory I’m not so sure the square metal (if I’m thinking of the right part) really does all that much once the repair set has been used.

1 Like

Loctite do the superglue gel Loctite Mini Trio Powerflex Gel, Strong Super Glue Gel for High-Quality Repairs, All Purpose Adhesive for Flexible Materials, Easy to Use Clear Glue, 3 x 1 g: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

1 Like

That’s great I think I’ll go for the super glue gel as mentioned by @richardn
It’ll have that bit of ‘give’.
I’m not sure how easy it would be to undo/ break apart if the glass ever gets damaged as in if I need to fix it in the future. But if it’s not strong enough then it could fall out possibly.

I think with the four black foam padding strips inside; I’ll put some strong double sided tape on them to hold the mirror.

I’m wondering if I should glue the whole perimeter of the rim or leave a few gaps for any future prising apart/ water drainage.

I am getting increasingly aware that I might be overthinking this haha!

Fantastic thank you!
Sounds ideal for this and other things!

I’ve found some superglue applications that it’s held but it’s so brittle that a small amount of flex and it breaks apart.

I also find that a lot of the time the superglue will always be 100% effective at gluing my fingers together!
But that’s what it was originally designed for to glue skin after surgery…
But it’s so brittle so I always wondered if surgeons had special flexible superglue which would be ideal for fixing shoes and the like!

‘Spot glued’ as in a few spots of glue around the perimeter instead of a long line of glue all around?

If that’s the case when gluing it back with the superglue-gel I might opt for spot-gluing in case I ever need to separate the trim in the future say for a cracked mirror…

Update:

Hello I forgot to report back on the completed job!

So initially I had the local body-shop respray the housing and mounting bracket (Exbourne Cross Garage, Devon) - fantastic work they do there and colour matching is spot on.

I was going to assemble it back together myself as it should be easy enough but then as it was going in for MOT I decided to outsource the assembly:
I thought there’s so much that could go wrong including the mirror possibly breaking and further 7 years bad luck, then the possibility of glue mess etc so as they do this sort of stuff all the time if they messed it up they’d have to fix it lol!
It looks great and has held up well on Devon’s potholed roads so the glue used must be good.
In fact I forgot to ask what glue they used as I’m sure I’ll need some for something else at some point…!

1 Like