Mk1 rebuild

I have a mk1 classic which is suffering from the dreaded rust.  Mechanically sound I’m looking at a rebuild to restore it to its former glory.  Any tips on where to take it and the likely budget.  I’m guessing it could be £5k but I’m hoping to be pleasantly surprised.  I’m based in Sheffield and Nottingham so some where local to these cities would be good.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Maybe not £5k but to get it mint body wise with matching interior, hood and clips, full underseal plus braes and suspension to suit you will be well into spending money.

Maybe cheaper to sell for what you can get and buy a very recent import unless the car means a lot to you.

Painter Dave is a member on here and does excellent work in Sheffield

Deepcar Autobodies Ltd

Address: Station Rd, Sheffield S36 2UZ

Phone:0114 283 8900

Although this might be a bit far for you to travel, talk to Carl Smith at CBS Autos

CBS Autos Ltd, Unit 18, Ecroyd Street, Nelson, Lancs. BB9 7BJ  - 01282 697413

Lots of members from the North West area use him - and he will give you a straight report and

price on what needs to be done

Contact MX5 City between Doncaster and Rotherham I have only used them for parts but always helpfull . Or Barry Roberts ,Aurillac Way Retford Dn227px ,top class paint and body man ,he painted my mk1 as requested fantastic job and a good price 01777702 or07850548668 no link only as a very satisfied customer !!

Paul Roddison at Roddisons in Sheffield is worth a try.

Hi guys thanks for the info really useful. Me and my Mk1 Classic go back a long way so it may not make total economic sense but I know that it’s a genuine car and perhaps after all the years of reliable service it might be time to give the old girl a ‘makeover’!

Hi

Check out my thread from last year

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst84092_97-Mk1-Classic-Restoration.aspx

Good luck

If you need any help, just PM me

Best regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

This couldn’t be more perfect. I have just scan read your posts and it’s just what I’m looking to do. I will be contacting you in the coming months if that’s ok and your Classic now looks a bute!

Thanks

Chris

Not a problem Chris. Suggest your first purchase is a cheap endoscope so you can check the extent of rust in the sills and arches. You’ll need to get the bodyshop on side and tell them you want to see all work before they close anything up and photographs of as much of the work as possible. If anyone questions this, walk away from them. Good luck with your restoration…I’ll PM you some information

Best regards

Mark