Mk1 wanted

I’m looking to buy a decent MK1 Eunos, something along the lines of an S-spec, V-spec, VR-Ltd, RS-Ltd or anything of that ilk.

It’s for a mini project/weekend car for myself and my Dad so it doesn’t have to be perfect, so long as rust or paintwork isn’t an issue. I’ve had MX-5’s for the best part of 10 years so I know their foibles and the general specials that were produced for the home market and it now seems that now is the time to get back in one before they are out of reach of us mere mortals!

We have cash waiting and will happily pay good money for the right car. What has everyone got?

I see that Goodwood Sportcars have a VR-Ltd due in soon.

Wouldn’t recommend Goodwood sports cars. They sold me a Mk1. Came with warranty. Had a problem. Steve wouldn’t answer my texts, calls or email. Avoid

1 Like

I saw that they have one due in, but their Facebook page says it’s sold already which was disappointing. For myself anyway!

Yes, sold almost immediately the ad appeared on Farcebook.

It’s probably because the NA is now featuring regularly in the top whatever drivers cars, moderns classics, investment opportunities of all time. I was reading one well known car mag that suggested if you own a MX5 NA for Christ’s sake don’t sell it. Mine was, with hindsight, a motoring disaster when I bought it 4 years ago but after hurling money at it I may well have it in 20 years time. It may well be the last petrol powered car I ever drive.

Steve is an enthusiast up in Berwick. He used to have an” understanding “ with AK Automotive but I don’t know if that is still as strong. Unless things have changed he has facilities for some basic maintenance but I am not sure he is a trained mechanic. Mx 5 city are far more a substantial set up as are MX5 restorer if buying from a dealer or ask Steve if he can source a car rather than wait for stock. If any come up cheap round here I go with a borescope as if they are solid in the sills I’d buy just because I have learnt about them the hard way although they don’t really come up and I only see two others from time to time - as I keep observing I think more have rusty inner sills than some folks admit.

1 Like

Also check out Autolink, Andrew imports some
https://autolink.co.uk/cars/

Thanks for your responses so far guys. I must admit a lot of the cars that we have seen that are advertised as clean seem to have rust hiding behind the arches or sills somewhere so it is proving difficult to find a clean one. That being said a small bit of rust doesn’t overly matter as it will be garaged when not in use as it will very much be a second car.

Thanks for the suggestions Ian; I did look at autolink a few days ago but didn’t see those cars so I’ll check those out.

If anyone on the forum who knows of anyone wishing to re-home their car, send them my way! :slight_smile:

Aye.
And frankly, having bought God knows what new & used items from him over 15 years now, I’d trust Andrew Stott with my wallet & grandchildren…if I had any.
Absolute top bloke.
If I was looking for a Mk1…I’d wait until Andrew got it. Period.

Totally agree with Autolink/Andrew Stott love.
However, I don’t think he’s importing much nowadays - certainly not as ‘stock’,on a regular basis. But I’m pretty certain he will source (from Jap auctions) and ship for you, provided he knows your budget and criteria. His Ts&Cs are very sensible as well. Worth calling him for a chat.

1 Like

He can’t really in terms of profit viability insofar the cost of a short container has rocketed by many thousands of pounds and beyond reason.
I believe there is a shortage of them due to global Cov-id
Never the less, he has two coming in…must have got a shipping “deal” or something.
Equally, he no longer has quite so much in the way of used Mk1 spares…at least not as few years back. And then of course is the Yen exchange rates…not good
He does not get the strip-scrappers he used to get.
Just try getting a simple door card now…or rather do not bother!
Still gets new bits eg engine trays etc…of which I’m ordering one tomorrow.
Also, even imports are not what they were. Pretty second division…and a few will have repairs or a bit of rot inside…not Andrew’s I dare say. He’d not waste his time with that kind of stuff.